CryEngine 3 or Unity 3d?

Started by
15 comments, last by RDragon1 11 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, we're currently modeling our characters for an RPG game for the PC and hopefully Xbox360 using blender and 3ds maya.And i was wondering what do you guys think is the much better and suitable engine for an RPG game(fantasy game). They say that unity 3d is better because it's much easier to use but not much on the graphics quality.Plus some features are only available for PRO(which is i think around $1500,too much for our budget). One of those features that we needed on our game is the video playback(for the cutscenes maybe xD). CryEngine is great because first of all, it's entirely free and the features are great like the physics, lighting , advanced character animation and environment interactivity. It's downside though theres not much attention given to it unlike to Unity 3d(or at least that what i know for now).That downside makes us doubt of its reliability. What do you guys think is much better? CryEngine 3 or Unity 3d.
Advertisement

it's entirely free
For non commercial projects only. It is infact thousands and thousands of dollars for full projects and the royalty based license only covers PC so to go onto xbox like you want you WILL need the full license. Also to develop on console you need a console developers license which is also thousands and thousands of dollars. THe $99 license for xbox only covers XNA games with C# or VB.net not cryengine or unity. So if the $1500 for unity's pro features is out of budget then you need to consider what platforms you actually want to target and whether you want to charge for your game or not.
actually we're not yet thinking for how much we'll charge for our game..our number one concern for now is the quality of the graphics and the realism of the AIs. And we are still researching on which engine is much better,.. How about UDK?.. It also have many cool and very useful features though i haven't really used it yet. I saw it's youtube vid 'Unreal Engine 3 (2012) feature highlights' ...the physics and graphics is very amazing..as to what platform we'll use, xbox is just an option..but we are prioritizing a PC game..
So you saw a video and thought the physics were "amazing"? It really won't matter what you use in the endgame, and both cost thousands of dollars to license. Why not recruit a programmer or two and simply program it yourself. You don't "need" to use an engine, and if your budget is under $1500 then you will NOT be able to even release the game with either engines.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

actually we're not yet thinking for how much we'll charge for our game..our number one concern for now is the quality of the graphics and the realism of the AIs. And we are still researching on which engine is much better,.. How about UDK?.. It also have many cool and very useful features though i haven't really used it yet. I saw it's youtube vid 'Unreal Engine 3 (2012) feature highlights' ...the physics and graphics is very amazing..as to what platform we'll use, xbox is just an option..but we are prioritizing a PC game..

http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/

Now on that side you can read about the license, try out their engine for free and make a decision upon that. tongue.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Hah, I like how UDK is free for schools to use, but it's 2500 a year for a business to use to train safety to it's employees...lol
THe physics are just as good (if not better) in unity. PhysX (the library powering unity physics) is incredibly capable and in unity 4 is hardware accelerated.
/Delete

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

/delete

EmmetCooper just downvoted me because I gave an opinion that he didn't want to hear. #Shouldn'tBeAllowedOnForums

i didnt downvoted you dude...i posted here to ask for opinions and/or advice...i wont post here if im just going to oppose something that i dont wanna here...maybe i just accidentally clicked something..i respect every opinion anyone posts here...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement