Sign in to follow this  
Ahmed Saleh Mohamed

Recommendation for Improving Programming Skills

Hi All,

I'm 25, I know C++ syntax since 9 years.. but It seems that I have copied so much code, and I didn't learn that much and didn't solve a lot of algorithms in my own. Currently I'm working for computer vision programmer as a junior and I have difficulity of doing algorithms like blob tracking or object tracking, writing algorithms like KNN, Quadtree,..etc.
I don't know what to do, or what to improve, I tried to write asteriods game, I have finished it, and here you can watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw0L4aCB4TU
What should I do more to enhance my skills ?

If you've only got a few years of professional experience, then you're likely going to have some trouble with machine vision. That stuff is hard, and even in the best of cases not 100% effective.

Be patient, practice; just like anything else.

You need practice to improve your skills, but you might benefit from some of the tips from my recent blog post "[url="http://clicktobegin.net/programming/intermediate-to-advanced-cpp/"]What next? Intermediate to advanced C++[/url]." which suggests some good books and links to a couple of sites with practice exercises.

It sounds like you particularly need to focus on your problem solving skills. After 9 years of practice you probably have a reasonable handle on syntax, but if you're still having trouble with algorithms you've probably been relying too much on existing solutions rather than solving them yourself. It may help to approach some common problems but disallow yourself access to the internet or any reference materials other than for checking syntax if you run into problems. Try to implement a linked list for yourself, and try to implement some spatial partitioning with collision detection in a simple game.

Practice your skills and you will improve.