Sign in to follow this  
Rafael Andrew Villanueva

C++ books for Beginners.

What are good beginner books for c++?

I'm familiar with c++ already but, would like to go back to the basics then slowly take my way up again to advance c++ programming then move to game programming.

Help me up please :). Feel free to post your awesome books that you begin with c++ and your review about the book!

I recommend [url="http://xoax.net"]xoax[/url] beginner tutorials. But when you finish those you should probably still read thinking in C++, because he doesn't cover some important features and doesn't go very in depth with more advanced features (std::vector && std::string). After that, you should probably read the official documentation for [url="http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php"]SFML[/url] And then moving on to [url="http://gamefromscratch.com"]gamefromscratch[/url] tutorials.

Thanks for the reply guys.

@jbadams : Yes, I'm planning to get that c++ Primer 5th edition but, I don't plan on getting the 6th. I heard it was terrible :3. And also after reading Primer, 5th I'm 100% sure going for the Effective C++ book since I've heard so many great things about this and almost everyone recommends it here on gamedev. Thanks for your suggestion :).

@superman3275 : Hm, that xoax is very interesting :). I'm going to check it out. And thanks for that thinking in C++ recommendation. I'll download it now :).

[quote name='Wisekid' timestamp='1347967196' post='4981209']
@jbadams : Yes, I'm planning to get that c++ Primer 5th edition but, I don't plan on getting the 6th. I heard it was terrible :3
[/quote]

I think you're thinking about two different books :-)
To clarify:
- the awesome one: C++ Primer (5th Edition) by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo // Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; 5 edition (August 16, 2012)
- the terrible one: C++ Primer Plus (6th Edition) by Stephen Prata // Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; 6 edition (October 28, 2011)

They're named confusingly similarly, but they couldn't be more different. For instance, the Prata's book introduces C-style arrays before introducing std::vector and uses C-style raw pointers & manual memory allocation before using smart pointers. This is especially hurtful for beginners, since it can be a source of bad habits and can be understood as (incorrectly) suggesting that STL-based material is somehow "more advanced" (which couldn't be more wrong, it's actually way easier and user-friendlier); beginners shouldn't be using the C-style stuff anyway, definitely not as the first choice. (That's not to say that the C++ Primer doesn't cover those topics -- it does, and the coverage is quite good too (with the important caveats mentioned, etc.), and in does it in the proper order). Edited by Matt-D