Which API? Which Book?

Started by
0 comments, last by Dynamo_Maestro 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi all,

Recently I've tried learning DirectX, but have only gotten so far now that they have removed DirectPlay and DirectMusic, since the book I was learning from used these.

Since I haven't gotten too far into learning DirectX I was wondering if maybe I should change? I only went with DirectX because it was an all-encompassing API (sound, input, networking etc) but since they've removed that functionality I have no burning desire to stay.

My biggest problem is that any book I've tried to find on amazon or waterstones to do with OpenGL is a bit out of date...

So here's my question? Should I just purchase the latest DirectX 11 book and start again? Are there recommendations to learn OpenGL 4.3 instead (waiting for this book to come out http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/dave+shreiner/the+khronos+opengl+arb+working+group/bill+licea-kane/graham+sellers/john+m-+kessenich/opengl+programming+guide/8417481/)?

Also as a further note on both of these routes... where do I go to find out about networking and sound for games now that DirectX hasn't got this and BOTH need other API's...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Advertisement
For sound support in DirectX theres

XACT
XAudio2
X3DAudio
XAPO

I believe these are all still being supported, theres also DirectSound but XAudio2 replaced that

Alternatively you can use the much popular FMOD

I am not sure of network libraries with C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement