file format for maps

Started by
4 comments, last by MrOMGWTF 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys,
I'm working on a game project and I need file format to use maps. The file format which I need can store geometric data as octree or it can enable to use octree.
Is there an octree-supported file format?

Thanks,
Altay.
Advertisement
The best answer I can give you is to make your own. Besides doing that I don't really know of any map format that supports octrees. A quick google search reveals this: http://octomap.sourceforge.net/ Not sure if that's what you are looking for or not.
An octree is a run-time structure that is created and maintained dynamically. It does not belong in a file, nor can it be used to “store geometric data”.
You will have to be more [s]specific[/s] accurate about what you want, and you should probably read up on what octrees are.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Just make it yourself. Be creative :)
You can use xml parser for making your life easier. Example map format:

<map>
<objects>
<object type="light" position="0.0 10.0 5.0" color="1.0 1.0 1.0" />
<object type="geom" position="0.0 0.0 10.0">
<verticies ="blah blah" />
</object>
</objects>
</map>

An octree is a run-time structure that is created and maintained dynamically. It does not belong in a file, nor can it be used to “store geometric data”.
You will have to be more [s]specific[/s] accurate about what you want, and you should probably read up on what octrees are.

L. Spiro

I think you misunderstood me. I just want to store octrees in my map file for quicker loading times. But I didn't know that octree generating in run time is quick.

Just make it yourself. Be creative

<map>
<objects>
</object>
</objects>
</map>

BSP file format made me lazy smile.png but I think I have to do it..

[quote name='L. Spiro' timestamp='1348052675' post='4981631']

L. Spiro

I think you misunderstood me. I just want to store octrees in my map file for quicker loading times. But I didn't know that octree generating in run time is quick.

Just make it yourself. Be creative

<map>
<objects>
</object>
</objects>
</map>

BSP file format made me lazy smile.png but I think I have to do it..
[/quote]

Well, good luck! It's not hard, I'm making my 3d model file format right now :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement