All from scratch

Started by
29 comments, last by frob 11 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1348079422' post='4981774']
I would be curious to do a poll at some point along the lines of:

Which do you think is harder:

-- filming a movie
-- coding a video game

-- quarterbacking your favorite [insert favourite professional athletic competition here] (and winning)
[/quote]

My favourite professional athletic competition doesn't have quarterbacks so it would be pretty darn impossible :D
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Advertisement
I have asked such a same question some times ago and some really awesome advices helped me much, you can read that post if you want a real insight about how pros became pros. :D

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

If you're doing amateur level stuff, you can do an awesome short film in a few days, but coding an awesome game, even a simple one, usually takes its time. Depending, of course, on a million factors like the target quality/length/depth, team size, resources etc.
Me-thinks we're getting a bit side-tracked guys.

He asked about where to start, not our views on wanting to create an MMO; which hopefully he'll see how monumental a task that is before getting discouraged from being a game dev and try to aim a bit lower to gain experience.

So, my two cents on where to start as a programmer is to try out C# or Java. I'm not a programmer to say the least, I'm an art guy.
But, I've been able learn enough from C# and Java to help out the real programmers.

And you can make simple games by yourself in Unity with just a little bit of practice, which helps to keep yourself motivated to learn more and more.

Hope this helps!

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

I would be curious to do a poll at some point along the lines of:

Which do you think is harder:

-- filming a movie
-- coding a video game

I've been involved in both (programmer/actor though less acting than programming :) ) and that's a tough one lol.
Each of them are equally draining but in different ways, at least that is my opinion... kinda states the obvious haha

Me-thinks we're getting a bit side-tracked guys.

Hope this helps!

Ah yes, I apologize.
Ok so I'm pretty tired of dishing out the same old Your-Not-Going-To-Make-X. speech so lets try it a different way,
pick one of the languages below, try several before settling on one if you must.

In no particular order:
- C#
- Python
- Java
- C++

Then, in chosen language, try to implement what you think will be the single most easiest feature to program in your MMOx
If it were me I would probably start with menu system (no fancy GUI or anything, just the ability
to navigate a hierarchy of sub/menu's and have the perform different actions) simple enough.
Then move onto something a little harder, perhaps an inventory (depends on how you want your inventory system to work).
If you manage to achieve that, try to do something a little harder; a chat client! over the interwebs!
(atleast I think its harder, probably because I have never attempted it and have little idea as to what it involves).

Then keep going for as long as you can, the rest of us who were once in your exact position already know the ending to this
story, but at least this way you will gain a serious amount of valuable experience!

[quote name='alvaro' timestamp='1347865788' post='4980798']
I wonder if film-making forums get posts from people that don't know anything about film-making but want to make a movie like Iron Man 2, and want to know where to start.

Wouldn't Lord of the Rings be more appropriate?
[/quote]

Well, we can make the Iron Man suit if we have access to military grade experimental materials. Making the ring of power requires the fires of Mount Mordor, though, so I guess it's all a question of location and resources. The innate danger, of course, is that Sauron gets his hands on the the suit - or even more terrifying - Robert Downey Jr. gets his hands on the ring and goes Gollum on us.

Edit - My bad. Didn't see there was a second page.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I wonder if film-making forums get posts from people that don't know anything about film-making but want to make a movie like Iron Man 2, and want to know where to start.

Isn't this exactly what Stallone did with Rocky films?

I guess we now understand why the bearded executives think programmers are being babies when they complain about work schedules and crunch time. The public must think developers have it on Easy Street if they believe some kid can browse a website for a few hours and type themselves up a WOW killer or photoshop clone.
random necro post, does no-one check thread dates anymore.

/thread
Bearded executives? Where the heck did that come from?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement