finding information on DirectX 10 is Difficult...?

Started by
5 comments, last by Gavin Williams 11 years, 7 months ago
Hello I've been programming for almost 3 years and having troubles finding simple and basic information on DirectX 10 for example a simple basic directx 10 window?

I've looked around on Google with results that show me what I don't want to see... like I've never used Classes before in my games I've programmed and having to deciper through someones uses of classes is very agitating.

I looked at the SDK examples and found usefull stuff but no nice descriptions and it would just be nicer if someone had a site or some kind of book that explained how to setup and use DirectX 10 with mingw32 I'm having issues with the makefile setup process includes/lib folders for some reason when I shouldn't be...???

Makefile

all: 3DGameProgramming
3DGameProgramming: main.cpp
mingw32-g++ main.cpp -o 3DGP -lmingw32 -lwinmm -ld3d9 -mwindows -I"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\\Include" -L"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\\Lib"
# this is optional, but it's nice
.PHONY: all

like in SDL you can find a basic SDL window example..

so if anyone knows anything about DirectX 10 and Mingw32 setups or knows where to find simple basic information on DirectX 10 let me know thank you ! ;]
Advertisement
Use MSDN and Google to find information on Direct3D 10.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205067(v=vs.85).aspx
https://janvdl.com/showthread.php?521-DirectX-10-Tutorial-Series

Install Visual C++ to compile a DirectX app. Microsoft does not allow redistribution of their SDKs, so any MingW version you are using is against the EULA. Also, it's a pain in the ass to get working, as you've seen. It works out of the box with the Visual C++ compiler.
Take a look at our D3D10 book - it is free, and should be approximately what you are looking for. The link is below in my signature...
The way I learned that window thingi is on the directxSDK in the directx 10 tutorial 0. click start > search "directx Documentation for C++" > look for samples and tutorial, then go to directx 10 tutorials. the tutorial 0 is about win32 basics.
Also, you should get to know how classes work, and be comfortable with them. What languages have you been using ?

Object oriented programming is a fundamental concept in programming that really shouldn't agitate you. Maybe get a book on C++ as well and start trying to make sense of what's in there, and practice building some classes. I promise you that they are not hard to use once you get used to them. And you will think in terms of objects & classes all the time once you do.
I sopose I will switch to using Microsoft Visual Studio then but I really don't know if i like it enough but o well I gotta do what I gotta do so from now on I will just use Visual Studio oh and gavin williams you are right in some ways but I just don't like classes there just too object orientated and make it alot of work for each member of a class ;/
Programming is 'a lot of work', oo just helps you organize that work. I assume you're using C++ in an imperative style, so you'll have variables and functions that work on those variables. A class simply collects those variables and their associated functions (that you've already written) together in a 'container', it has a number of advantages such as encapsulation, the wiki introduces encapsulation like this :

In a programming language, encapsulation is used to refer to one of two related but distinct notions, and sometimes to the combination[1][2] thereof:
* A language mechanism for restricting access to some of the object's components.
* A language construct that facilitates the bundling of data with the methods (or other functions) operating on that data.

Those seem to me to be very sensible side-effects of using OO. All that extra work is really just work you're doing anyway, you're just moving it somewhere more sensible. The skeleton of a class (the code you have to write to contain it and expose it to the rest of your program ) is trivial.

Anyway, you should do what you're comfortable with for the moment, you'll probably have more fun exploring graphics programming. Just think about how classes might help organize larger projects as you start writing them. I'm sure you'll be writing code one day, and you'll stop and think 'hey .. i remember when i didn't like object oriented programming. And you'll have written a thousand classes' :)

I absolutely promise you that it becomes second nature, and i'm no programming guru or anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement