Weapon Attachments - unusual ideas?

Started by
15 comments, last by DaveTroyer 11 years, 6 months ago
I'm thinking up cool attatchments for a weapon in a shooter game. Like in Crysis or COD, you can customize your gun, and often, different attachments have different benefits

A little info about the game: It's a FPS, multiplayer, in a kind of mock modern-fantasy-toonish setting. I'm hoping that lots of different gameplay types will eventually become part of the game - stealth, destruction, tactics, rampaging killstreaks - through different game modes and rules (including zombies)

I have a pretty comprehensive list of the 'conventional' attachments used in games, but I'm hoping for some more outlandish ideas. I'll get the ball rolling with two I thought of yesterday:

Muzzle Break
In real life, it's a little thing you screw on the end of the barrel. It reduces recoil by directing the flow of muzzle gases, which could be useful for high-recoil weapons

Underslung crossbow
Some people stick a grenade launcher to their assault rifle. Some use an under-barrel shotgun. Well, what about an underslung CROSSBOW? The report is much quieter than firing a round, so it's a good stealth weapon.
Advertisement
Under-barrel SMG. Always wanted one of those on a sniper rifle.

Energy Pulse system attachment: releases a directional burst that detonates incoming rockets/exposives and knocks back any enemies nearby

EMP: close range underbarrel attachment to easily disable robots/equipment
Good news, everyone! I have a signature now!
A built-in harpoon launcher.

Why?
Harpoons are badass
Chainsaw? Can't survive the zombies hordes without one.
Eraser style scope that lets you see through walls
flame thrower
freezer
net launcher
The normal stuff has merit, of course, so a big variety of optics and lasers and flashlights could fit.

You say it's mock-fantasy, so will there be magic? Just about any directed spell could be strapped onto a picatinny rail. Or you could have a magic muzzle brake that adds some kind of effect to the bullets themselves, adding versatility to normal rounds.

Sweet bayonets are always fun, whether they be chainsaws or wooden stakes.

Grappling hook.
Here are a few that I thought up.
Under-barrel Bolo Tosser - This would throw a bolo that would slow your target down for short time
Under-barrel Fire Extinguisher - Oh no! Someone on the other team is lighting everyone on fire! With this, you can put them out.
Ventriloquist Muzzle - It's kind of like a suppressor, but it saves up the sound and you need to "empty" it when its full with a loud bang that makes everyone go deaf for a short while.
Dark Light- The opposite of a flash light. This will make a cone that is difficult to see in and can't see further ahead.
Magic Barrier +3 - This handy lil guy makes a forward facing magic shield in front of the user for a couple of seconds. Very useful for backing away from an ambush. (Would need to make very limited or long reload time for balance purposes)

I dunno how complex you'd like to go with the ideas, so I figured I'd just throw these out there. biggrin.png

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Some I always wanted:

Small ballista - Throws inexpensive/easy-to-find ammo such as little rocks to distract enemies.
Mini-nuke launcher - Is conventional ammo not enough to head-shoot that huge robot or apocalyptical beast??
Another sniper rifle - The upper rifle will be loaded with lethal ammo, and the lower with tranquilizers.
Auto-aim device - Transforms your sniper rifle into an automated turret that guards your camp while you take a nap.

A super soaker (or some water pistol)
A super bright light that blinds enemies

On a more serious note, I always loved the explosive tipped arrows from Turok, so I'd be in favor of something like that. Yeah, it's kinda like a grenade launcher, but the fact that it's an arrow makes it so much cooler.

[edit]

Oooohh, and a shuriken launcher, similar to the one in Jet Force Gemini.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Just attachments? Not new weapons?

I think it might be interesting if attachments themselves were rarely deadly, but intead function as sort of support utilities.

Grappling Hook

Paint ball cannon, blinds opponents/ makes them stand out against the background

EDIT: Radioactive paint ball- makes them visible through walls/ leaves a trail

Tazer

Laughing Gas- Rocks hit player's view, like they're laughing hysterically, plus manaical laughing sound effect

Sleepytime Gas- slows enemies waaaaayyy doown

Pepper spray- turns enemies players' screens red, agony sound effect

Superglue - Create puddle of glue which traps enemy players

Teleporter puck- like Unreal Tournament, player fires puck, and then can telport to that location (or into other players, killing them)

Bayonet- quicker, longer-ranged melee attack

Flash bang projecter- blind opponents facing player

Health gun- heal teammates

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Drawing inspiration from The Fifth Element, a tracking attachment. Activate it, hit an enemy, and then all bullets fired thereafter will follow the target. Deactivate to turn off and choose a new target.

Others;

Ricochet attachment, allowing bullets to bounce off walls in a semi-predictable fashion, allowing players to shoot around corners, etc.

spider egg attachment, allows player to lob eggs into a crowd of enemies, producing a swarm of spiders, and they're hungry...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement