• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoeSSU

How a to abstract character movement....

This topic is 2218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a 2D grid with A*... but how to i go about abstracting movement?

I can tell a character to goto(spot) at the most basic level, but i'm not sure what context to give the abstraction. my game at its most basic sense could be described as a dungeon crawler like torchlight/diablo.

Do the monsters "see hero (hero enters sight radius, etc)" and then "Move Toward Hero(finds a path to the hero and takes it)" then "attacks hero (when in range)" .

Is there a better way to abstract monster movement? for example... wandering, exploring, grouping!....

i guess i could replace "hero" with "point of interest" and the AI figures out if the point of interest is a hero and attacks it.

I want this to be simple but not preclude me from doing more advanced stuff later.

-J

Advertisement
"Move to" should always be a parameterized function that takes a location. When you pass in the location, you can certainly get that from an object. (e.g. MoveTo(Object.Location);)

I see, do you think i should be enforcing that my characters strictly adhere to my AStar grid when moving around?

Like moveTo(object.location) would be turned into the nearest grid spot location? or should i just have them "occupy" the gridspot that they are located in.

If you aren't having them occupy a grid space, then A* is probably not your best choice. Have you looked into a navmesh with local steering?

I definitely do have them occupying a space right now ie.......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2214V6CUAAZ-D8.png:large

at the end of that path the character "occupies" that grid space. What i was saying is that if I do end up using MoveTo(location) i will have to convert that to a grid space so it an "occupy" it.

I have not looked into that yet...

Right now my system allows an AI to aquire a path to a target and it is notified when it reaches the end of that path. This may break down once the target moves.

I do like the local steering idea (just from some intial searches)... can you recommend any tutorials? Not sure ill do navmesh generation just because that is more complicated than i really need i think. (I dont see myself having a problem with just using a grid of squares.

-J

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!