LegalZoom.com for videogame trademarks?

Started by
5 comments, last by BlackWind 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

Has anyone used www.legalzoom.com to register your videogame trademarks? Would you recommend it?
Advertisement
There's a directory of good game lawyers at obscure.co.uk
Also see thegameattorney.com and charnelaw.com and underdevelopmentlaw.com

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you Tom.

Have you use any of those?
Which one would you recommend?
We are only interested in registering the game name, via the less expensive (but trustyworthy) way
BlackW, you should contact some, talk to them, then decide who to use. I know three of those lawyers personally, and in the interest of fairness to them all, I am not going to make a single recommendation. You have to make your own decision.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you Tom. I already contacted them.
My question was more oriented to how reliable were they (or legal zoom, which seems to be cheapest option, but i still havent know someone who registered something with them).
It really depends on your on (objective) feeling on your own level of competence in that area.
For example:
I've dealt with a ton of "Work for Hire" contracts in my life-- so I don't feel the need to contact my attorney every time I need to review or sign one. I know that stuff quite well, and only contact my LCA when I see something weird.

But, when I bought/sold my house-- since I know nothing about real estate law, I absolutely hired an attorney. There's no way I'd feel comfortable doing my own "real estate law." Likewise when I incorporated my businesses. Since the downside of doing it wrong is so large (losing the corporate protections) and it wasn't that expensive to do, I let my lawyer handle that.

My opinion? If you're not sure whether you should use Legal Zoom or not, then don't. My hunch is that hiring one of the folks on Tom's list will be only marginally more expensive than Legal Zoom. And if you're serious enough to trademark your businessname or logo, then it's worth the extra couple hundred to have the confidence it's being done correctly.

Brian Schmidt
GameSoundCon 2012 San Francisco
Oct 24/25 Register by Sept 28 for Earlybird Rate
www.GameSoundCon.com

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Thank you Brian. I'll keep that in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement