• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hansemannen

Rcommendation for making a 2D rpg game(The basics)!

This topic is 2221 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone:)
As the toptic says I wan't to start making a small 2D rpg, mostly just for fun and learning. It's not going to be big game, I just want to do the basics.
For now I have experience in ActionScript 3.0 and some Java(Still learning process). I have been thinking about making it in java, so my question is, is it bad to make a 2D rpg in java? Also is it any engines or somthing I should check out. I have tryed Slick2D and lwjgl library, but I don't know if it's the best way to make a 2D rpg, I have also been thinking it should be tilebased.
I appreciate all feeback I can get, or recommendations.
And sorry for not super awesome english!
I am also open for advice like it is better to make such a game in another language and so one. you get my point:)
Thank's folks!:)

Advertisement
1. Solidify your knowledge of basic Java (Read 1 or 2 good books and watch a web series combined with the official documentation);
2. Learn a library. Either Slick2D or lwjgl would work, just pick one;
3. Try to make something simple like pong or a tetris clone (Despite what you may think both are very hard for a beginner with no tutorials);
4. Experiment. Move on and try to make your own games;

Heya,

I can relate to you, as I also thought: let's make a 2d rpg like thing in java. I did a quick scout and found that JGame gives a fast starting point. I'd not recommend it if you want to have a clean engine. But for getting started quickly, there is no match. I used the Dungeons of Hack code as a starting point. There is an applet version if you want to check it out (small) (fullscreen).

Good: you have the code and graphics of this game as a starting point.
Bad: it is not the nicest code. So if you want to learn how to program more than you want to learn how to make a game, I'd stay away for now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!