Is XNA dying and MS forcing to C++?

Started by
123 comments, last by viper110110 11 years, 6 months ago
I really like the XNA/C# combo, although I also really liked the older managed DX/C# combo, and this brings up a small problem imo. I don't imagine that microsoft would kill off XNA, but I would imagine a new version may be released mid-dev-cycle that could cause a fair amount of refactoring on your part (I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been burned by that in the past). If your aim is to create a simple 2D game targetting smartphones/tablets, you could do a lot worse than a C++/GLES combination. For that, you'd need nothing more than a cheap android device (or even a raspberry pi) as a dev kit. Whichever you choose, be sure to wrap your hardware specific sections so you can switch platforms in the future if you need to.
Advertisement
Not to be too much offtopic. But if XNA is killed off officially, will Monogame adapt its XNA to DX10 and beyond?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Monogame consumes SharpDX libraries, which supports DX11.1 and lower.

Monogame consumes SharpDX libraries, which supports DX11.1 and lower.

Wrong

But if XNA is killed off officially, will Monogame adapt its XNA to DX10 and beyond?

Monogame uses OpenTK for its graphics which themselves are mono bindings for OpenGL. No directX in monogame anywhere.
I was referring to Win8 and for the upcoming WP8. See ARMED! game.
You said monogame. According to monogames site it uses OpenTK not SharpDx. I can't find anywhere stating that monogame or Armed use SharpDX.
If in doubt, go to the source.
https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/blob/develop3d/MonoGame.Framework/MonoGame.Framework.Windows8.csproj
The Win8 target clearly uses SharpDX.
it makes me always sad to see how some people and companies try to handle languages and libs like religions :(
I like c++, yet for WP7 and Xbox-Indie I'd be forced to one particular language, although there is no reason something else wouldn't run. just like they've tied DX10 to Vista and a lot of morons spread the word "it's for technical reason, superior driver model and..." while every programmer knows that an API is just a thin interface, not really related to a driver model or internal implementations (that's why there is an interface).
While I'm sad for you XNA guys if it would be really true that it 'dies", I hope people learn from it, to not stick to one language, to one api, one lib, especially if it's build solely by one company and their marketing department.
Standards are the way to keep your freedom of choosing what and how you want to develop.

crossing fingers for you XNA fans :)

especially if it's build solely by one company and their marketing department.
... snip ...
Standards are the way to keep your freedom of choosing what and how you want to develop.

The first part of your post wasn't bad, but that one line was idiotic and trollish.

The second line is equally silly. You do realize that C# is ratified as a ECMA standard language right? By your logic people *SHOULD* use C# for exactly this reason.

When it comes to graphics libraries, it was actually being an open standard that caused OpenGL to stumble and DirectX to become king. D3D pre-9 were basically shit, and D3D9 took a number of revisions to get to the point of being better than OpenGL. However, they could move quickly and did, while OpenGL died a slow death by committee. The move to a programmable pipeline is the only thing that saved GL in the end.

You said monogame.

Yes, but I was referring to the part of it related to Win8 and WP8. Needless to clarify that I was not referring to OpenGL-based platforms (nor DX9 ones like WinXP).

Thanks Serapth for posting the link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement