Is XNA dying and MS forcing to C++?

Started by
123 comments, last by viper110110 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi GameDevs,
I started programming a year ago with Pascal (Lazarus) and moved then to C# to make some Windows Phone 7 apps.
I made some small apps for companys, but now that I got some experience I want to start coding my first small 2D games.
After some games I will try myself on a paid game-app.
With this as my clear and not to high goals I searched for the best Framework to choose and remembered XNA. It´s relativly easy to use and C# is my language of choice.
But how is the future of XNA? MS removed it from VS2012 and that makes me curious. I wouldn´t call it dead or nearly dead, but I don´t want to learn a "dead" Framework.

It seems like I´m forced to C++ and DirectX or other Engines /C++ and DX in case of apps)

Is XNA still worth learning?
Or do I have to switch to C++?
What other choices do I have?

Thanks.

-Sooker
Advertisement
As far as the XNA question goes, I wanna know this as well.

Do you have to switch to C++? I wouldn't say so. I mean, MC is in Java so you could go to Java. You could even go to C# still and find a different library besides XNA.
As long as people can freely distribute XNA games on PC, I do not think it will go away soon.

Also, you do not need to go with C++ to learn DirectX. SlimDX and SharpDX are well supported frameworks (and SharpDX let you make Metro-compatible apps for Windows 8).

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Microsoft do seem to be trying to kill it off, they've recently split the creators section of their site into phone/indie games sections and in the process broken nearly every single google link to the data there. The general impression is that they're just trying to make it fade away without making any real announcments on it. All their current efforst seem to be on Windows Phone and Tablet work, and while XNA is valid on the phone for now I really get the impression they'll start pushing more forcibly to c++.
Having saiid all that XNA is still a pretty good framework and the with some of the replacements mentioned below you'll be able to get a lot of stuff done with it very easily.

Microsoft do seem to be trying to kill it off, they've recently split the creators section of their site into phone/indie games sections and in the process broken nearly every single google link to the data there.

That one is plainly just an oversight on Microsoft when they updated the sub-domains for each section, forgetting to handle re-directs properly and SEO integrity possibly going down the tubes as a result. You can still open the Google links, by replacing "forums" with "xboxforums" (if you're looking for Indie games topics). It's still a bit of a pain to do each time, though.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Do you have to switch to C++? I wouldn't say so. I mean, MC is in Java so you could go to Java. You could even go to C# still and find a different library besides XNA.

C++ seems to be a better option if I want to develop for Windows Phone.

Also, you do not need to go with C++ to learn DirectX. SlimDX and SharpDX are well supported frameworks (and SharpDX let you make Metro-compatible apps for Windows 8).

The first impressions by browsing their site are not bad. But the community seems to be small. This isn´t really good if you just started with game frameworks in my opinion. But I will keep it in mind.

they've recently split the creators section of their site into phone/indie games sections

Its a bit confusing. I liked the old style way more. The WP7 resources for your first app where much better imo.

-Sooker
i think they may be killing it. All you have to do is go on Xbox Live Indie Games section and you will find only maybe 5% of the games are worth the cash, and about 60% of the games last about 15 minutes. And people in the community (my friends) hate them because of this. I think it maybe that Microsoft is trying to forget it. I cannot say anything about windows phone 7 though. As for learning C++, i am quite new to programming so i can't really say.
I never thought they would kill it without delivering something new to compensate it.
But now im curious about getting into C++ or staying at C#
This rerolls/negates the old opionion about getting first into C# and XNA and maybe later to C++

Going from C# to C++ with DirectX could be to big as next step?
SlimDX/SharpDX seems to be the only way to go in my situation
There's a great deal of novelty around C++11 even inside MSFT. Plus XNA was never updated to support DX11 (even though it was ported to WP7 through DX10.1). This is the reason why C++ is strongly recommended these days by MSFT.

For what I can uderstand from what I see/read, XNA will still be there but tehre will be no more updates nor support to it. So, you will be still able to use it for the creation of games for supported platforms (including Win8 Desktop and WP8). Now, if you still want to use XNA-like coding, then you could then use Monogame or ANX (both offering support for Win8 on ARM and WP8, through SharpDX).

Now, if you prefer to directly use DirectX APIs but want to stick with C#, then my suggestion is SharpDX (I'm not sure whether SlimDX is been developed any longer), which is a 1-to-1 wrapper of DX, supporting versions 11.1, 11, 10.1 and 9c.
Thanks for all the answers.
I will go to C++ and take the SFML Route.
Learning something new is never bad ;)
Maybe i will give SharpDX or Unity a try, but C++ seems to be the way to go.

-Sooker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement