Representing player classes in c++

Started by
7 comments, last by Derpy 11 years, 7 months ago
What is the best way to represent player classes for an rpg game in c++
Advertisement
What an awful question...
This isn't such an easy to answer question depending on a infinite number of variables it could literally be anything.

class PLAYER
{
public:
int IDNum; //this is the ID number
int LocX; //X location
int LocY; //Y location
string Name; //Name of Player
}
I just saw a similar thread with people debating how detailed an inheritance tree should be and when you should choose composition instead of inheritance; from that thread I'd say there's no 'best' way to represent your player.

Rather, write out a description of what your player character is and what it has.

In the simplest form, a player is a creature that has an inventory and can be controlled by a person.
A monster is a creature that could have an inventory and is controlled by the computer.

The main difference between a player and a monster is that the player is controlled by a person. You could make a generic creature class with health, mana, stats like strength, and have it hold an 'inventory object' which is represented by an inventory class. Then you would attach the input from a person to the generic creature's movement methods and that becomes your player. Everything else that isn't hooked up to an input device (and is controlled by the computer instead) is your monster.

Hopefully that helps out some.
I have a player class like in c++ class i need a player class like witch or warrior
[source lang="cpp"]#ifndef PLAYER_H
#define PLAYER_H

#include "gameobject.h"
#include "gameobject_component.h"
#include <QString>

class Player : public GameObject
{
public:
Player(QString name, int maxlevel, PlayerClass classtype);
Player(QString name, int level, int xp, int maxlevel, PlayerClass classtype);
void Update();
void Checklevel();
void Attack();
virtual ~Player();
bool isactive;
int Level;
int Maxlevel;
int Xp;
float Money;
QString Name;
float Mana;
float Maxmana;
float Health;
float Maxhealth;
float Speed;
float Strenght;
float Intelect;
float Hitrate;
GameObject backpack[30];
GameObject_Component Componets[100];
protected:
private:
};

#endif // PLAYER_H
[/source]
Classes as in unit archtypes or something like that really depends on your game.

Figure out what the differences are:

Are the differences only graphical? - If so then you don't really need a seperate Class type.
Are the differences very major? - Break it out by what is different and seperate that out (again it really depends 100% on how you are using it)

You are asking very broad generic questions, you are going to get very broad generic answers =)

You could literally have your classtype be represented by an Enum that is simply a number representation of which class the player is.
I would enumerate the available classes. Then have a variable in all creature classes that uses one of those values for it's class. The rest is all data driven. You will have a table or something that lists all the character classes and their relevant stats and abilities.

Depending on how your game rules are set up, that could be a perfect answer, a really bad one, or completely out of context!
I would have to agree with using enums for the sake of simplicity.

On a side note, some of those public variables and functions look like (from the names) that they could be private (or protected) instead of public. Putting everything into public isn't necessarily bad, but it's not a good habit to get into as it can present some bugs down the rode.

Fly Safe 7o

Do you know much about component based architecture? im new here myself, but in everything i have been taught and everything i have actually made, component based architecture was superior to an inheritance model. Unless you are making a few very simple game object classes, you will want to make components and then tack them on to your game object. And the player controller would be one of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement