Has anyone ever turned down an interview? How do you respond?

Started by
8 comments, last by tom_mai78101 11 years, 7 months ago
I imagined that there is a person, A, who had sent out lots of resumes to employers.

After some long, long time, A finally received a few interview offers, but the offers all mentioned that A needs to be on a specific date, say X/XX/20XX, in order to be interviewed by the employers themselves.

How does A respond to all of these offers? I continued to imagined, that A can only choose 1 offer (since they all marked on the same date), and he has to turn down the rest. Would the employers be sad, or angry, or shrugs it off, if they were to receive an email stating that A has turned down the offer? Would A lose all of the interviews but one?

The more I've imagined, the more my mind becomes a TV drama producer...
Advertisement
If multiple companies all say "we can interview you on <same date>" then just reply to the less appealing ones with a friendly formal response with something like "Unfortunately I have prior commitments on that date, is an interview possible at another time?".
That seems so much easier than I thought it would be. :o I think I need to stop watching TV dramas.
Just build a cloning vat, step into it, and then go to every interview at the same time. Problem solved!
Now, if every interviewer wants to hire you and your clones accept on the spot... then you've got a problem.
To my own surprise, it happened to me a couple of times. And given the extreme scarcity of programming jobs requiring graphics in my country, that feels just wrong.

Previously "Krohm"

If they want to interview you they will want to accommodate you. You're not a puppy waiting to be thrown a treat.

Common sense says many people have jobs which won't let them take an arbitrary day off, you just phone/email and say you can't do that day and offer some alternatives.
Politely decline their invitation for that date and offer a new date/time for the interview. In my experience companies are not annoyed by this, as long as you don't postpone until infinity or are not willing to accept a compromise.
Exactly. Cut the drama, be polite, friendly and professional. Two reasonable parties can sort out an interview time, and if not perhaps they're not people you want to work with anyway.
Yeah, you just email them. Actually it's a good thing; you get to say "sorry, can't interview that day because I'm interviewing somewhere else". Lets them know you're in demand :-)

People are kind of used to this stuff. It's pretty normal that good people will, after they decide to change jobs, get a lot of interest.
Thanks again for all of the feedback. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement