[RPG] Indie Game Team- Forgotten RPG 2D

Started by
3 comments, last by PhilObyte 11 years, 6 months ago
Recently, I've been designing an RPG game. It's called Forgotten, which I plan to release in 2014 as a 2D game and in 2015 as a 3D game.

You play as a hero who has no recollection of anything, but his name (which, conveniently, you provide). He/she (your call) wakes up in a little hut. There's a sign saying, "You are the hero(ine). Do something." You must venture across 9, unique, different terrains to recover the 9 Gaen, which when combined, they will destroy the great evil that is looming over the land of Aladoria. However, the journey won't be easy. Recovering the Gaen of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Beauty, Creation, Sight, Harmony, and Fortune won't be easy. You have to explore areas that are procedural generated as you go, meaning an infinite world until you find the Gaen. Forgotten itself is actually a sandbox/RPG combo, which means it has RPG elements, and a storyline, but in a sandbox world, akin to Terraria or Minecraft. Not only do you need to progress through 9 different levels of increasing difficulty, you need to survive. There is a maximum tier of gear you can obtain in each region. By the end of the game, you will have brilliant gear, and you'll need it for the final boss fight.

FEATURES
-30+ classes to play!
-20+ races to play!
-40+ unique skills to customize your character
-Randomly generated enemies
-Randomly generated terrain
-And much much more...

Why have I posted this here? Well, it's because I need help. Such an ambitious project is extremely difficult to do by oneself. It is possible, but quite frankly, I am horrible with sprites/graphics, and I could stand to improve plenty on my random world generation skills. If you are potentially interested in aiding me with this project, I am looking for one-two spriters (graphic designers), and one-two coders. Please email me at madhoggames@webs.com if you want to learn more.
Advertisement
If this is your first game, it is too ambitious.

Recently, I've been designing an RPG game. It's called Forgotten, which I plan to release in 2014 as a 2D game and in 2015 as a 3D game.

1. You are probably overestimating what you can achieve in 2 years. Many many people come here without much game development experience and propose to finish some ambitious project in the next 2 years.

Think back on what you have done in the last 2 years. Write it down on paper. Was it a lot?

2. You might find it hard to make a full 3D game from scratch in just one year.

Such an ambitious project is extremely difficult to do by oneself. It is possible, but quite frankly, I am horrible with sprites/graphics, and I could stand to improve plenty on my random world generation skills. If you are potentially interested in aiding me with this project, I am looking for one-two spriters (graphic designers), and one-two coders. Please email me at madhoggames@webs.com if you want to learn more.

1. Perhaps you should scale down your project and produce something less ambitious first?

2. If you are looking for coders, it might be helpful to state roughly the programming languages this project will be using, and have a rough outline for the programming. E.g. "Adobe Flash, actionscript, classic isometric rpg graphics, will develop a flash app and upload it to newground" etc.

Good luck!
I'm a little curious as to what coding experience or game design experience you have previous to this project, i'm fairly new to the art myself but i know that even to the pros a project like this to do with any quality is hard if not impossible to do by yourself in a manor of 2-3 years, not shooting u down just stating my thoughts, i recommend starting simpler and pursuing this idea when u have a team/more experience?
Hi there!

I'm going to go off the assumption that you have experience developing a game and have read a good chunk of the stickies.

So one thing I noticed is that you have a lot of the story and small nuances like how many races, gear, and other stuff figured out, but you didn't explain much of what the game is.

What I've gathered is this:

• Multiple Lands
  • Multiple Races
  • Multiple Skills
  • Random Enemies
  • Random Terrain
  • RPG
  • Sandbox
  • Story

That being said, I couldn't glean what kind of style the art will be, what kind of world it is (ie modern, fantasy, post-apocalypse, etc), what kind of unique features there are, or even how the game is being played. The story seems typical to me; the hero has can't remember anything, has to get a bunch of magic mcguffins to save the world. So from the limited information, I can't say that it's all that appealing to me personally. Even if the story ended up being deep and meaningful, I feel that it would be lost in just how much stuff is piled around it.

Aside from that, it is a massive project. So much so that it is even ambitious for teams like Bethesda. Think about it, they have million dollar budgets, can hire whom ever they want, and take more than a mere 2 years on a project, and they come out with 7-8 (I think) races, a hand full of skills, and a pre-planned world.

Not to be offensive, but unless you have an army of programmers, modelers, and marketers to work on this, you might want to aim a quite a bit lower. Otherwise, you won't reach your goal and nobody likes falling short of our goals.

And finally, if you're trying to get that army together to get this project up and running, I might suggest building up a detailed game design document and possibly getting a MOD to move this to the classified section.

Hope this helped and good luck!

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

I think this little piece of information you gave us sounds very interesting! Combining storyline and sandbox is something I want to think about, too.
But is it Jump'n'Run, Topdown or Isometric? What is the content of a level? - All these important questions must be answered before we can evaluate your idea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement