My Title Menu Track :)

Started by
4 comments, last by m4uesviecr 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys,
I'm working on a MOBA project with a few other guys (a couple of which are from this site). The theme is traditional Japanese mixed with obviously the strategy and action of a MOBA/RPG, so the characters are ninjas, sumos etc. To try to accommodate this I wrote this title menu track, in which I've mixed various style (probably with various degrees of success). Anyway the point is I'd love if anyone could have a listen and give me some feedback, both on the production/actual composition and whether you think it fits what I've written it for, from my vague description smile.png
Thanks all!
http://soundcloud.co...itle-menu-music

Edit: Decided to replace snare drum with something less military
www.soundcloud.com/roblaidlowmusic
Call me Rob
Advertisement
Hello,
I'm not a composer myself, but I'd consider me part of "guys" so I'll say a few words anyway^^.
All in all, I think it's a nice asian/western-medieval mix you've got there, works well together.
However, if the music is only to be played in the main menu, I'd try and shorten the opening note. It's okay if there are a few logos popping up and the music has to hold back until they're done, but if music and menu start at the same time, a routined player may easily have navigated the menu before the 'actual' music even starts (6 seconds are a long time).
A second odd thing I've noticed is that the 0:38-theme and (to a lesser extend) the 0:57-theme have a strong 'zeldaish' feeling to them. I've listened a lot to zelda-soundtracks and their performances, so maybe 0:57 isn't as obvious to the average listener, but I find it hard to believe that someone would not think of "Kakariko Village" at 0:38 (except of course, if they don't know it). Don't take my word for it, ask a few others if they can hear it as well, but if "sounds like zelda" is a common answer, you should really ask yourself whether that is a connotation you want for the music (most likely not, given the short description of the game).
Hope this was helpful,

bw,
Tobl
Think my post was helpful? Want to thank me? Nothing easier than that: I sure am are a sucker for reputation, so just give it a little keycode 38 if you like. ^^
Disclaimer: I'm not active in the field of music and in no way an expert

First of all, It sounds nice, something I can listen to multiple times, but I think it would annoy me after a while. Second, I'm getting mixed signals from this track: first 30 seconds sound relaxed, like I'm planning out a strategy in a laid back fashion. Then it starts feeling really Zelda-ish and I get the idea Song of Storms is going to jam in at some point.

I hope that's useful information to you in some way, good luck on your project :).
Thanks guys!
Mussi the change in style was intentional but that doesn't mean it's not something I shouldn't look at
The Zelda stuff does seem quite obvious so I think in future I'll go for a little less of a classic Nintendo feel ;) You're correct Tobl that although there are some similarities in perhaps character design etc for the most the part the games are a world apart so it's good advice to keep that connotation to a minimum
www.soundcloud.com/roblaidlowmusic
Call me Rob
I am a musician myself, and I must say the first part of the track is really nice and will fit into a title menu, however as others have pointed out the second part is really Zelda-ish. It feels like you have made 2 different songs into 1 or rather 2 ideas into 1. I think you should keep the title menu relaxed. That would work pretty well in a titlemenu.
Nice work! I don't want to be a stickler by offering advice, but this will help two-fold; me listening intently and offering musical advice which I rarely do (because I'm new to it), and me potentially helping you. I am a young composer, so I hope you don't take any offence or anything.

The intro is beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing! The percussion and everything seems fairly nice and well balanced by that time. At 00:18, I think that the xylophone is ... a little too bright? At least for me. I would have tried to darken it up, to try and continue with the soothing, creamy texture you have going already. I think the transition into the pizzicato may be a bit rushed? Instead of letting the strings abruptly stop, perhaps you could let it fade out, and have the pizzicato line fade in? To help assist the change in timbre, as well as instrumentation? Just an idea.

00.57 - POKEMON! Right here, the only thing I would say is that you could possibly tone down the snare, so that it isn't overpowering the string quarter note-playing section. Don't make the snare invisible, but make it so that you feel a slight tug in rhythmical drive from the snare. (It also sounds a little dry, but that could just be my preference!)

1.26 is nice! Especially with the chorus. I thought the tambourine was a nice touch. (I think the tambourine could maybe use some reverb? It sounds kind of dry, but that could just be me.)

I think your outro was superb as well. I love that enveloping, unified, calm, tranquil sound. I think you did a great job conveying that.

I hope I didn't come off as crass or pompous! I should start uploading some of my project stuff for feedback. I love critique like this!

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jasminecoopermusic

"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you are an artist." Max Jacob

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement