Preferred development OS (Desktop/Laptop).

Started by
60 comments, last by Green_Gill 11 years, 5 months ago

[quote name='tom_mai78101' timestamp='1348551035' post='4983460']
I think he just wants the statistics for how biased the operating systems were to developers.

-Exactly. smile.png[/quote]
So in other words, you are just polling the OS preference of GameDev members?

Welcome to the lounge.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
Within the last year I've started developing using arch linux with dwm and vim. Mostly C and Go atm. I find that using the command line tools and vim is what I like. I don't mess with icons, I don't mess with file managers, I don't mess with menus. I can actually do everything from the keyboard without ever using the mouse. Infact, other than my browser, I can do all my coding over a simple ssh login, or without starting xwindows at all. Even while in xwindows, dwm has no need for a mouse, and I'm using vimium for chromium to reduce my need of a mouse there. Dwm is a tiling window manager, which is very helpful when using documentation or reference material.

There's much more to add, but I really enjoy my development environment. Everything at your fingertips.
I'd be lost without VS, so Windows for sure.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I've used linux, and mac, but i was raised on windows, so that's my platform of choice.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

So in other words, you are just polling the OS preference of GameDev members?

Welcome to the lounge.

Thank you mr. Swift :)

Within the last year I've started developing using arch linux with dwm and vim..
Everything at your fingertips

I wish i had the patience to learn vim. Everytime i get started on it,
I get confused about the key combinations.
But i really enjoy not having to use the mouse.
It's often much slower than a hitting a couple of keys.
With regards to scripting, I do that too, and associate the scripts with shortcut keys.
Wroooummm!

I'd be lost without VS, so Windows for sure.

When I switched from vs6 to vs2003 (i think it was),
I was annoyed with intellisense, which as a feature i enjoyed, took so long rebuildong its index.
Today i use vs2010 on a daily basis at work. And it's pretty fast, but i often feel that i can do with less...
Have you ever tried a smaller IDE that you feel you can compare to vs in terms of comfort?
In a perfect world? Visual Studio on OSX! Mainly because power management and the touchpad are so much better on OSX than Windows.

In a perfect world? Visual Studio on OSX! Mainly because power management and the touchpad are so much better on OSX than Windows.

Can't you just run parallels, then?
Windows(xp or win 7) for sure. Ubuntu is fine for small projects but no more than that. Mac OS???? Well perhaps I should try it one day when I need to port a game to mac machines... For now it is not necessary.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Have you ever tried a smaller IDE that you feel you can compare to vs in terms of comfort?

QTCreator perhaps, but I haven't done any big project in it, but at least I never felt lost like with things like XCode or Eclipse.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

[quote name='tstrimple' timestamp='1348589234' post='4983621']

Can't you just run parallels, then?
[/quote]

That solves the trackpad issues, but definitely not the battery issue since I now run an entire operating system just for Visual Studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement