XNA icon cooldown clock effect

Started by
12 comments, last by chosendeath 11 years, 6 months ago
But none of the overloads can take an AlphaTestEffect or any Effect it seems... the closest ones seem to be the ones with the SpriteEffects enum
Advertisement
Oops.

Disregard that post. I haven't written XNA code in so long.

You use the blending options in SpriteBatch.Begin(). I believe it's BlendState.AlphaBlend or something similar.
You can supply an AlphaTestEffect in the SpriteBatch.Begin method. But you need to set it up with a special Projection matrix:

// Set up an AlphaTestEffect with a Projection that allows it to be used with SpriteBatch.
Matrix projection = Matrix.CreateOrthographicOffCenter(0, GraphicsDevice.PresentationParameters.BackBufferWidth, GraphicsDevice.PresentationParameters.BackBufferHeight, 0, 0, 1);
Matrix halfPixelOffset = Matrix.CreateTranslation(-0.5f, -0.5f, 0);
alphaTestEffect = new AlphaTestEffect(GraphicsDevice);
alphaTestEffect.VertexColorEnabled = false;
alphaTestEffect.AlphaFunction = CompareFunction.Greater;
alphaTestEffect.ReferenceAlpha = 0;
alphaTestEffect.World = Matrix.Identity;
alphaTestEffect.View = Matrix.Identity;
alphaTestEffect.Projection = halfPixelOffset * projection;

I put a little project here that shows how to use this to make a "clock" effect.

The only downside is that since you're using alpha to control the "angle" at which the "clock" is visible, you can't really use alpha blending. That's fine if you're ok with an opaque background.

Otherwise, you'd need to use a second "alpha texture" to control the angle; that would require writing a custom shader.
I have an alpha channel texture, but if its really required, how do I make a custom shader for it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement