• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt-olsson

DX11 Shadow mapping = ok for large open areas?

This topic is 2125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry about my shadow-spam questions! =)

But i start to like DX11 really much and the whole Shader Approach is so cool, so much power with to little code!

I am starting to understand how the whole shadow mapping works.

Depth buffer calulations and render to texture etc.
But i dont want to study this technique all day(s) long to find out that it only can handle small areas (1024 textures) that only shadows a part of my scene.

My game is a FPS like Quake so my question is:

can shadow mapping handle big scenes/outdoor scenes like this?

Advertisement

can shadow mapping handle big scenes/outdoor scenes like this?

Yes, the trick is, that you only calculate the shadows in front of the camera and blend it out for scene elements farther away. Though you will need some additional efforts to get shadows working for larger viewing distances without using huge shadowmaps. The most prominent approach is CSM (cascading shadow maps aka parallel split shadowmapping). Edited by Ashaman73

But i dont want to study this technique all day(s) long to find out that it only can handle small areas (1024 textures) that only shadows a part of my scene.

You can have up to 8192 size rt's, but that can be an overkill.
As Ashaman said, CSM is what you are looking for. With it, you can achieve decent look even with 512x512 shadow maps (if we take that you will use some shadow map antialiasing techniques). Idea behind it is preety simple, implementation is a bit tricky but not impossible. If you have directx sdk there's a demo of csm, check it out :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!