Idea to prevent people from torrenting your singleplayer game

Started by
39 comments, last by slayemin 11 years, 6 months ago

but i don't agree that people who are torrenting games wouldnt buy them if it was possible to torrent.
I know quite a lot of people who says they would probably of bought many of the games they torrented if they had no other way to get it for free.

You may not agree, but most experts say otherwise. Your evidence is anecdotal at best, and it certainly seems to not consider the bigger picture. I wish I had the source, but I read statistics on android piracy that showed that something like a 2/3rds of pirates don't play the game longer than a few minutes -- about half of them didn't even play it at all. This means that, of all pirates, only about 1/3rd are giving your game a second look. Many of those pirate because they are too poor or cheap to pay for a legit copy at any price, and still some more outright object to the notion of paying money for any software at all. In the end, you have perhaps 5 or 10 percent of pirates who are even on the fence over paying you. Who you still have to convince that your game is worth your price... Hence, you cannot think in terms of "X people pirate my game, my game sells for Y, therefore pirates have cost me X * Y dollars." Even with perfect (read: impossible) piracy prevention and perfect (100%) conversion to paying customers, its more like (X/20) * Y -- best-case-scenario. DRM and anti-piracy task-forces are not the crushing theft/would-be-windfall that the MPAA, RIAA and other industry groups would have you believe.

Seriously, the best thing an indie can spend his time on is making his game better. DRM and anti-piracy measures do him exactly no good, and will do harm to his reputation.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1348694042' post='4984117']
but i don't agree that people who are torrenting games wouldnt buy them if it was possible to torrent.
I know quite a lot of people who says they would probably of bought many of the games they torrented if they had no other way to get it for free.

You may not agree, but most experts say otherwise. Your evidence is anecdotal at best, and it certainly seems to not consider the bigger picture. I wish I had the source, but I read statistics on android piracy that showed that something like a 2/3rds of pirates don't play the game longer than a few minutes -- about half of them didn't even play it at all. This means that, of all pirates, only about 1/3rd are giving your game a second look. Many of those pirate because they are too poor or cheap to pay for a legit copy at any price, and still some more outright object to the notion of paying money for any software at all. In the end, you have perhaps 5 or 10 percent of pirates who are even on the fence over paying you. Who you still have to convince that your game is worth your price... Hence, you cannot think in terms of "X people pirate my game, my game sells for Y, therefore pirates have cost me X * Y dollars." Even with perfect (read: impossible) piracy prevention and perfect (100%) conversion to paying customers, its more like (X/20) * Y -- best-case-scenario. DRM and anti-piracy task-forces are not the crushing theft/would-be-windfall that the MPAA, RIAA and other industry groups would have you believe.

Seriously, the best thing an indie can spend his time on is making his game better. DRM and anti-piracy measures do him exactly no good, and will do harm to his reputation.
[/quote]

I understand this kind of prevention is bad now.

I would like to see the souce very much indeed that you mentioned.

but about 2/3 dont play more than a few minutes doesnt matter really.

I've bought games and only played it a few mins then stopped because it wasnt that fun.
But I still bought it because they made it look really fun in description, pics and trailer.

I've bought games and only played it a few mins then stopped because it wasnt that fun.
But I still bought it because they made it look really fun in description, pics and trailer.

So, then you advocate being essentially lied to and stolen from? That you should gain sales by keeping people fooled, rather than happy? I'd certainly be pretty cheesed off if I paid even a dollar for a game I only enjoyed (or tolerated, more accurately) for only a handful of minutes. And I certainly won't come back to that developer's other games in the future -- not without some excellent reviews and a free demo, anyway.

I mean, I don't want to seem hostile, but this attitude would be poor business and ultimately a near-sighted and self-defeating maneuver. I'm not even arguing with *you* here, I'm just making sure that these short-sighted counterpoints of yours don't stand unopposed in this thread for eternity and derail someone into thinking this whole DRM thing might be worthwhile after-all. If this at all comes across as personal, its not, I'm just very heated about this topic and convinced that no DRM at all is the best DRM for indies.

I know I sound like a hippy when I say it, but let me repeat again: Making your game better is the most effective thing you can do to increase revenue, DRM and anti-piracy is an anti-customer act.

Seriously, worry about making happier customers, not more money. Money will follow happy customers, but not the other way around.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Ah, DRM:

What could possibly go wrong? (taken off my own screen...)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/AyxE4mKCMAAwAq-.jpg:large
Yeah, DRM generally doesn't achieve much long term apart from annoying your own customers. I could see it being somewhat useful in limited circumstances, such as if you could sufficiently raise the social value of having an upgrade/content pack first and people wouldn't want to wait for it to be cracked.

One thing I have wondered about (if it's download only) is digitally fingerprinting each copy so you know which customer to blame for the leak when it happens. Depends how litigious you are.
It's worth noting that many successful indie developers now proudly tout their games as DRM-free, actually listing it as a feature/selling-point. The good news is that it's the easiest thing in the world to also have this (now almost expected) feature for your own games: all you have to do is not spend extra time and effort on implementing DRM!

- Jason Astle-Adams

There already was similiar DRM in Assasin's Creed. It was easier to play the game on cracked version then original. Anyway, what if I'd like to play the game somewhere where I DON'T have an internet connection ? If you want to make a game that requires constant connection then first make worldwide internet available for your customers, which will be enough to send and recieve data from server. Ubisoft learned it in a hard way that DRM's aren't really cool.

There is only one way to make your game sell. Make a good game.
For years I have wondered how a game could be made to self-destruct, delete, and empty game related memory if tampered.ohmy.png

laugh.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

IMHO it's better to have piracy than to have that fas*ist SOPA thing.I'd rather have a small revenue loss and a huge popularity increase from piracy(it's pretty much free advertisement for your game).For instance look at Terraria.It sold millions.At first a friend sent to me and the rest of the mates the first version of the game to check it out.Then all 4 of us purchased it to get the wall of flesh and hallow update.The point is - most people who pirate weren't gonna buy it anyway,so it's no much of a loss.Piracy is very beneficial to the producer in many cases and can actualy get more people to buy it.I mean it's not even piracy,they're not stealing the copy from you and they're definately not selling it to make a profit out of your work.
I wonder, is it ever a demand from investors that a publisher should release its games with DRM to try and protect sales?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement