Idea to prevent people from torrenting your singleplayer game

Started by
39 comments, last by slayemin 11 years, 6 months ago

I wonder, is it ever a demand from investors that a publisher should release its games with DRM to try and protect sales?

AFAIK, it can be. Also, I've heard that some licenses for assets (audio/art/whatever) will require some form of DRM/encryption/protection for the assets so they don't get ripped so easily.

I've never worked on a AAA game though, so take what I've said with a (large) grain of salt.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
Another area which got me thinking is dynamic encryption where the game is reencrypted - or at least most important parts - between play sessions. I even read a couple years ago about dynamic encryption which ciphers parts of the game while being played so that the state is never the same from moment to moment. Decoy false memory and dynamically encrypted memory will probably become practical in a few years, too, which will make it much harder to pirate.

I believe that technology advances will eventually make games secure from all but the insider security breaches.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I'd rather see the code open source. To advance in the game, you either buy a CD (or why not a flash drive at this point in history?) or pay online and activate over email, and the game then "belongs" to your email address or a user profile. And then the game downloads the new files. It isn't limited to one machine or user, and those who were going to pay for the game will do so.

Another area which got me thinking is dynamic encryption where the game is reencrypted - or at least most important parts - between play sessions. I even read a couple years ago about dynamic encryption which ciphers parts of the game while being played so that the state is never the same from moment to moment. Decoy false memory and dynamically encrypted memory will probably become practical in a few years, too, which will make it much harder to pirate.

I believe that technology advances will eventually make games secure from all but the insider security breaches.

Clinton

Personally, I doubt it. As computers get more powerful, breaking security becomes even quicker and easier too.

Even if your suggestion worked, you're once again saddling your users with potentially severe issues and DRM shouldn't step on the toes of the people supporting your product. Changed computers? Your saves are probably not transferable, unless key encryption information is stored along with it, potentially giving crackers the information they need. Abrupt termination? Your game might be scuttled completely, and your save data irrevocably lost. You might even lose the game you paid for if you've used up all your installs, and a ruined copy can no longer phone it's deactivation home. Plus there's always the possibility they can simply spoof or bypass the encryption altogether.

You already hit the nail on the head, anyways: Quite a few breaches are zero-day, from first run pressings and internal leaks. A few cracking groups offer compensation for anyone that can get a pre-release to them and there's many opportunities along the chain for an underpaid, uncaring, or disgruntled employee to slip a copy into the wild.

As wiser folks than me have pointed out, that effort should be spent on delivering quality content consumers are willing to pay for, not erecting a feeble barrier to slow down people who wouldn't give you a bottle of water if you were on fire.
I don't think that getting pirated is really that bad, I would even say, that it is good.

The AAA industry have years of experiences and one of it is: it is unlikely that you make money with your first title.

I know of games which sold more addons (which requires the base game) than the game itself, and that was back in the '90 ! But this only shows the effect, that piracy is some kind of free advertising. So, for a indie developer it could be better to make a game and use the free advertising and make a sequel to actually earn money with it or make a name of yourself. A pirated first game is just a kind of demo version, but if you have a good game, the sequel will sell better, because people want to support you.

Once you have reached myriades of sold games (AAA segment), have the Xth sequel out , you can think about DRM to optimize your statistics, but this will only happen when people really want to own your game, not only if they want to test it out.
DIablo 3 had this sort of approach. The game even in single player mode requires and permanent internet connection as the game is constantly synced with blizzards servers losing connection boots you from the game. Its been a sore point with a lot of fans but then blizzard fans complain a lot about everything.

I've always favoured the carrot approach where by player are incentivised to play a legitimate copy of the game. But I've heard of late game traps in pirated copies of indie games where they designers have made the game unwinable in the initial release and requires a patch to be able to finish the game.

But one idea I've heard of battered around recently mainly in the app world is the idea of detecting the game is a pirated version and having the game run in ad supported mode. That way you are still generating revenue from the pirated copies.

DIablo 3 had this sort of approach. The game even in single player mode requires and permanent internet connection as the game is constantly synced with blizzards servers losing connection boots you from the game. Its been a sore point with a lot of fans but then blizzard fans complain a lot about everything.

The game was virtually unplayable for almost two weeks on evenings and weekends in Europe and Asia, The US customers got alot better service but it wasn't a smooth ride there either.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people(fanboys?) defend the developers/publishers when they fuck up. (It doesn't matter how difficult something is, if you charge money for something and fail to deliver it is your problem, not your customers, in Blizzards case the failure was pretty much on purpose(They didn't want to spend too much on servers since the load would drop off after the initial rush))
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Don't bother with DRM it will be pirated no matter what you do.

The problem is that, generally, doing something involves code, but when people get the game they get the code, and if they use notepad++ they can remove the "checkpoints". Even a multiplayer game might be leaked somehow.

The problem is that, generally, doing something involves code, but when people get the game they get the code, and if they use notepad++ they can remove the "checkpoints". Even a multiplayer game might be leaked somehow.

If using a compiled language, it's not that simple. Chances are the game is in x86 assembly, in which case they'd likely use a nifty disassembler to view your assembly code, and then use a debugger to step through the assembly to determine where the checks are done and how to disable them. And then they'd probably use an assembler + hex editor to replace the relevant parts of your program with their own assembly to bypass your security. Notepad++ has a hex editing plugin, but it sucks compared to other hex editors. Nobody would try to hack a program with a pure text editor though... that's just insane.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement