Some newbies (like me) do love to code in C++

Started by
35 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 6 months ago
C++, which is important in our digital industry, is *indispensible* in the vedio game industry.
I enjoy learning/coding in C++, mainly because I love challanges, like many people do....(the best thing I like about it is ''whatever you learn - it is small'', compared to the vast language itself.
Major standardardisations also keep making it better (C++11)
In game industry itself, C++ is the best tool for the job for programming game engines (the best of the knights do it!!)

Considering the importance it has, can I say that ”C++ will be used for *game engines* as long as we have AAA titles” ?

Or, can I say that, C++ is going to be THE (only) tool for creating AAA *game engines* as long as we play on vedio game consoles?

Or, in short, can I say that C++ is going to be the vedio game (engine) Industry standard, for a very very long long time ahead?
I would certainly be very happy!!!!

Note : I am strickly talking about the middleware, game engines (add libraries like Direct3d and Open-Gl if you want)..
Advertisement
I also enjoy C++; but just because I enjoy it, doesn't make it the best choice. wink.png

"the best of the knights do it!" - The best code warriors use many languages, not just C++. They also used to use Assembly, but just because they are skilled, and they have used assembly in the past, doesn't mean I should use assembly, or even that assembly is currently the best choice.

A more important question is why do they use it? It's not good to say, "they used, therefore it must be good!". Instead you say, "they used it, because they had to for situation X. Since I'm not in situation X, is it still the best or only choice available?"

C++ is not going away anytime soon, and will probably be heavily used for at least another ten years. But once you know C++ very well (or almost any language), then it's not hard at all to jump to a new language when needed.

C++ is not the best suggestion to a new programmer. It's certainly one path that could work (and has worked - I started with C++), but there may be other paths that are better. The question is, what does "better" mean? It's subjective. So instead, we say, "What are the pros, and what are the cons, of C++ verses, say, Python, for someone inexperienced in programming to start with?"

([size=2]The Language Flamewar tag is needed here)
Have you tried something else? Maybe if you'd try something else, you'd love it so much you'd f.... it
The only people I've ever met who consider C++ to be an adequate solution for creating videogames are people who have never programmed in a language that wasn't C++.

The only reason it's still around is because it's what everybody uses, so if you're hiring C++ programmers for a game, you have a lot more choice than if you're hiring haskell or C# programmers.
Eh, I think the reason a lot of people still use C++ is because they've spent significant amounts of time and effort (which equals money invested) building their own game dev apps & toolsets in C++. There's also the fact that a lot of people are already experts in C++, so it'd be a bit of an uphill battle to get studios to switch to another language. But, I think the transition to other languages like C# is already happening gradually.
If all legacy code and middleware written in C++ disappeared tomorrow you wouldn't really have much of a reason at all to use the language for the most part imo.
Question: which languages aside from C/C++ have manual memory management?

If I remember correctly, Ada has a form of it (and a form of RAII, too, again IIRC) and some dialects of BASIC and Pascal do, as well.

If all legacy code and middleware written in C++ disappeared tomorrow you wouldn't really have much of a reason at all to use the language for the most part imo.

That's definitely the major reason to use C++, but it's also got pretty good max performance (not always good average performance) when compared with a lot of other simpler languages, like C#. That max performance is difficult to acheive though, and more often than not it will result in developer error performance handicaps and productivity handicaps elsewhere.

That said, C# is my favorite language atm. It's just so easy to do what I want. D:

Java, C#, and Python, to name just a few.

Just because they each have a garbage collector, doesn't mean that you can't manually allocate/deallocate resources as needed.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement