Sign in to follow this  
superman3275

[SFML] I Finished Pong! I Can't Believe It!

Congratulations.

[quote name='superman3275' timestamp='1348796023' post='4984554']
(Sorry, I don't know how to release it! If someone could message me on how to, I would be Happy
[/quote]

I don't use VS myself, but: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+deploy+vc%2B%2B

[quote name='superman3275' timestamp='1348796023' post='4984554']
I did it! Yes! I did it! I finished pong, and it works. I'm so happy! I just, can't believe it. I did it. Wow, after that much time, it's just amazing.
[/quote]
It is only the beginning. You will be amazed at what you produce in a few months' time!! Congratulations.

Congratulations!!, you've made the first step towards a new fascinating world.
Good luck on your trip [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Awesome man, always fun to create your first game.
Btw if you share a vs project then you can delete the following files:[list]
[*]debug
[*]ipch
[*]a big file with the extentsion .sdf
[/list]
Good luck on your next project!

Gratz!

[b]To change to release just click on:[/b]
Build -> Configuration Manager -> Click on 'Debug' change it to 'Release'. -> Rebuild your code which will create a new folder names Release.

[b]If you want people to test your game when you have an .exe and image/sounds folders like you have now you can do this:[/b]
- Create a new folder on your desktop or anywhere you like: example "Pong_Game"
- Copy the .exe from the Release folder into your new folder: example "Pong_Game/Pong.exe"
- Copy your images/sounds/SFML/videos into your new folder: example "Pong_Game/Images/..."

Click on the .exe and you should be able to play your game. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img] If not, a folder has wrong placed wrong in the folder "Pong_Game".
So you don't need all the headers, cpp's, sdf, debug/release folder, ipch files. Those files aren't needed anyway to be able to play your game. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]

~EngineProgrammer

I just spent some time trying to get text working, but I have a problem:
I have a variable in my ball class that keeps the amountofhits, whenever I hit the paddle this increments. But, I don't know how to set my text equal to this variable:
MyString.SetText(variable);
doesn't work. Any Ideas?
(At the moment I am just displaying the number in the console.)

[quote name='superman3275' timestamp='1348876526' post='4984899']
I just spent some time trying to get text working, but I have a problem:
I have a variable in my ball class that keeps the amountofhits, whenever I hit the paddle this increments. But, I don't know how to set my text equal to this variable:
MyString.SetText(variable);
doesn't work. Any Ideas?
(At the moment I am just displaying the number in the console.)
[/quote]

Is SetText a function u created or is it built into whatever game library ur using, if its one u created make sure ur returning the data properly in the function and that your function has the right datatype of string like this

[CODE]
class MyClass{
public:
string SetText();
};
[/CODE]

im just assuming ur using a class this goes the same with plain old c++ functions though without a class declaration Edited by GameC++Expert93

First you store the variable as a integer, and that's what you increment when the paddle is hit.

Then, when ready to draw, you MyString.SetText() a std::string, not an integer directly.[CODE]
//When paddle is hit...
score++; //Update the score.

//Convert the score to text.
std::string scoreAsText = convert_a_int_to_a_string(score); //'convert_a_int_to_a_string' is an imaginary function that doesn't exist.

//Set the new text.
MyString.SetText(scoreAsText);

//When ready to draw each frame
RenderWindow.Draw(MyString); //Or whatever...
[/CODE]

To convert an int to a string, you could use [url="http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/stringstream/"]std::stringstream[/url].
std::stringstream is used to format text, similar to how std::cout works (same interface).
[code]std::stringstream formattedText;
formattedText << "Score: " << score;

std::string convertedToText = formattedText.str(); //Turn the data stream into a std::string.
MyString.SetText(convertedToText);[/code]

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1348882959' post='4984926']
First you store the variable as a integer, and that's what you increment when the paddle is hit.

Then, when ready to draw, you MyString.SetText() a std::string, not an integer directly.[CODE]
//When paddle is hit...
score++; //Update the score.

//Convert the score to text.
std::string scoreAsText = convert_a_int_to_a_string(score); //'convert_a_int_to_a_string' is an imaginary function that doesn't exist.

//Set the new text.
MyString.SetText(scoreAsText);

//When ready to draw each frame
RenderWindow.Draw(MyString); //Or whatever...
[/CODE]

To convert an int to a string, you could use [url="http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/stringstream/"]std::stringstream[/url].
std::stringstream is used to format text, similar to how std::cout works (same interface).
[code]std::stringstream formattedText;
formattedText << "Score: " << score;

std::string convertedToText = formattedText.str(); //Turn the data stream into a std::string.
MyString.SetText(convertedToText);[/code]
[/quote]

mm i could be wrong as to how pong works, but why would you update the score when the paddle is hit? i thought in pong the score should only be updated if that persons paddle does not end up hitting the ball

[quote name='GameC++Expert93' timestamp='1348890535' post='4984949']
mm i could be wrong as to how pong works, but why would you update the score when the paddle is hit? i thought in pong the score should only be updated if that persons paddle does not end up hitting the ball
[/quote]
You're correct - I wasn't sure why the OP requested that either. I didn't know what to call the variable, so I just called it "score". Perhaps "bounces" would be a better name, but it depends on the OP's intent.

"[i]I have a variable in my ball class that keeps the amountofhits, whenever I hit the paddle this increments. But, I don't know how to set my text equal to this variable: MyString.SetText(variable); doesn't work. Any Ideas?[/i]" Edited by Servant of the Lord