Data structures for game programmers?

Started by
4 comments, last by frazchaudhry 11 years, 6 months ago
I finally got my hands on the cd. But my main question is since this book was printed like a decade ago, will the code run? This is like really important to me. I dont want to read dry textbooks. Its like my only hope of learning this stuff. I messed around with the stuff and it complains about it using <iostream.h> instead of <iostream> so I quickly fixed that. Anyone here ever use it? let me know if anything else I should be aware of.
Advertisement

I finally got my hands on the cd.

Great !

Now, what your you talking about ? (some context would be nice, what book ? Are you refering to an other thread ?)

Please forgive me, if I lost the overview of who wrote what by almost 200.000 members.

[quote name='ISDCaptain01' timestamp='1348818994' post='4984652']
I finally got my hands on the cd.

Great !

Now, what your you talking about ? (some context would be nice, what book ? Are you refering to an other thread ?)

Please forgive me, if I lost the overview of who wrote what by almost 200.000 members.
[/quote]

ummm its the book from premier press written by ron penton. I had the book but not the cd. I emailed andre lamothe for the cd. Now im just asking if the code is still able to work on modern comilpilers, if so are there any quirks I should know about?

ummm its the book from premier press written by ron penton. I had the book but not the cd. I emailed andre lamothe for the cd. Now im just asking if the code is still able to work on modern comilpilers, if so are there any quirks I should know about?

Its that the guy behind these terrible programming series, where every book, no matter if its about learning C++, "creating" MMOs, multiplayer in general, 3D graphics and whatever, it always begins with a lot of pages of "introduction" that does not tell you anything, then brief introduction to C++ (or other language, depending on book) that takes another 200 pages, then missing the point anyway, and end up completly useless?

Honestly, I wouldn't want these books for free. If I may, I suggest staying away from these series and finding author that actually wants to show people something valuable and teach them, instead of making money selling crap. Because mr La Mothe found a great business model in gamedev industry, he seems like he can reuse his books, creating new ones, endlessly.

PS. Maybe that book you mention is different, but I really haven't seen anything valuable from this publisher yet.

Where are we and when are we and who are we?
How many people in how many places at how many times?

[quote name='ISDCaptain01' timestamp='1348820284' post='4984659']

Its that the guy behind these terrible programming series, where every book, no matter if its about learning C++, "creating" MMOs, multiplayer in general, 3D graphics and whatever, it always begins with a lot of pages of "introduction" that does not tell you anything, then brief introduction to C++ (or other language, depending on book) that takes another 200 pages, then missing the point anyway, and end up completly useless?

Honestly, I wouldn't want these books for free. If I may, I suggest staying away from these series and finding author that actually wants to show people something valuable and teach them, instead of making money selling crap. Because mr La Mothe found a great business model in gamedev industry, he seems like he can reuse his books, creating new ones, endlessly.

PS. Maybe that book you mention is different, but I really haven't seen anything valuable from this publisher yet.
[/quote]

i believe the person who wrote the book is a member of gamedev.net. I actaully want to read some of Lamothe's advance books like tricks of 3d rasterization and black art of console design. But im not a good enough programmer to hit them yet.
read this

members.gamedev.net/sicrane/articles/iostream.html

you should never use libraries with the .h extension if its alternative is available. This link discusses fairly well why that is so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement