can you copyright a game combat system?

Started by
27 comments, last by Dan Lee Rogers 11 years, 5 months ago
I am the combat master.

I was thinking of creating a combat system that can be used in many games with slight alterations.
Depending what kind of combat mechanics they want... RNG(luck or no luck.. turn based or live action etcetc.

I would be unhappy if other games copy my combat system though.
Would it be possible to put a copyright on it?

I was thinking it might be possible?

Because for example the DnD has a license on it... just that they chose to make it uhmm whats it called again... so anyone can use it commercially for free.

http://www.d20srd.org/
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srdarchive

So I would also like to create a good combat system but make it so no one can use it without my authorization.
Which I would sell rights to use in a specific game to other studios or use in my own games.

Is it possible to do this?
And what conditions and everything to be able to put a copyright on a combat system?
Advertisement

[/quote]
Yes. Copyright protection is automatic as soon as an idea is expressed in tangible form. (Note there is a difference between copyright protection and enforcing copyrights.)

Because for example the DnD has a license on it... just that they chose to make it uhmm whats it called again... so anyone can use it commercially for free.
So I would also like to create a good combat system but make it so no one can use it without my authorization.
Which I would sell rights to use in a specific game to other studios or use in my own games.
Is it possible to do this?
[/quote]
Yes. It is rather straightforward to do. Groups do it all the time.

And what conditions and everything to be able to put a copyright on a combat system?
[/quote]
You talk to a lawyer with experience in IP rights in the game industry.

The lawyer will help you craft your license.

(Note there is a difference between copyright protection and enforcing copyrights.)

Can you explain more plase

No. Try patenting it instead.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+copyright+and+patent

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1348848899' post='4984760']

No. Try patenting it instead.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ight and patent
[/quote]

ok so would patenting a combat system be possible?
how much different would it need to be from other combat systems?
how can i know which combat systems are already patented?
If tehre is a good combat system in some game that isnt patented yet can i patent it?

how to enforce patent? is it easy or hard?

ok so would patenting a combat system be possible?
how much different would it need to be from other combat systems?
how can i know which combat systems are already patented?
If tehre is a good combat system in some game that isnt patented yet can i patent it?

how to enforce patent? is it easy or hard?

Answer:

You talk to a lawyer with experience in IP rights in the game industry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

isnt there anyone with any kind experience on this forum??

Yes. Copyright protection is automatic as soon as an idea is expressed in tangible form.
[/quote]
Are you sure? IANAL, but as far as I've always understood copyright, it is the expression that is copyrighted, not the idea behind the expression. With that in mind, I would've thought the mechanics/flow/idea of the combat system is not copyrightable, and if one created a similar combat system with an original expression/implementation of it, it would be fine. I don't claim to know for sure though.

Sure, we have professional lawyers here, but they charge a professional fee, because it's their career, and offering legal advice isn't something you just do willy nilly on the Internet (because it creates certain liabilities).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1348852722' post='4984780']

Sure, we have professional lawyers here, but they charge a professional fee, because it's their career, and offering legal advice isn't something you just do willy nilly on the Internet (because it creates certain liabilities).
[/quote]

So what programmers are career too..
But they give out help on how to program stuff instead of taking payment.

same with game designers giving out advice but not taking payemnt

and same witth artists

etc etc

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1348853000' post='4984781']
[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1348852722' post='4984780']

[/quote]

So what programmers are career too..
But they give out help on how to program stuff instead of taking payment.

same with game designers giving out advice but not taking payemnt

and same witth artists

etc etc
[/quote]
Except for the legal liabilities, which I explicitly mentioned...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement