Visual Studio Express 2012 Yay

Started by
56 comments, last by Ryan_001 11 years, 4 months ago
In the software license terms it states:
Trial Edition. The initial installation of the software is a trial edition. You may convert your trial rights at any time by obtaining a product key from Microsoft. The trial software will present conversion options to you thirty (30) days after you install the trial software. After the expiration of the 30-day trial period, without conversion, the trial software will stop running.[/quote]
Does that mean that express edition is merely a trial edition now? Or am I misreading something?

edit: nm, it says on another page:
After installation, you can try this product for up to 30 days. You must register to obtain a free product key for ongoing use after 30 days.[/quote]
So it looks like its still free and just requires registration.
Advertisement

So it looks like its still free and just requires registration.

That's correct, and in-line with how previous express editions have been released; you need to register the software after 30 days, but it's free of charge and can be used for commercial usage.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Just be sure to register them as soon as possible and don't wait until the last minute, when all the VS Express registration servers have been down for a week, and they tell you after e-mailing them that no one even noticed! smile.png

Would be fun to make a Metro style tablet app, but Win 8 tablets seem uber expensive, and I doubt anyone other than early adopters even cares.
I'm just in the process of downloading VS2012 Ultimate, I'll post back with my overall first impressions. I know, it's not the Express edition, but hey, somebody's gotta report on the full edition.

I'm also downloading the final build (RTM) of Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, so I'll install both and let ya'll know how they work together. [edit: Putting Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro was a mistake... the touchpad stopped working, and re-installing Boot Camp now makes the OS randomly freeze after a few minutes of use... Now I get the joy of using my fall break to work out the issues]
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
This speaks volumes with my initial impression.

Senvy.png

This speaks volumes with my initial impression.

Senvy.png

So you think it's slick and easy-to-use....?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

No... It's just my first time seeing the Metro interface and how it looks.
I really like VS2012 (using the professional edition) and I really like that the express edition can finally compile 64Bit applications out of the box (although it wasn't hard to set up in VS2010 either: install SDK -> chose it in the project's properties as the platform tools -> done).

What is really a problem is that (until now) applications compiled with VS2012 do not run on WinXP! Yes... WinXP is old and should not be supported anymore. I agree with that. BUT! As a developer of "professional" software (CAD/CFD software in my case) with many customers in Asia (China, Korea) I just have to live with the fact that a very big percentage of my customers use WinXP. So I have to wait for the promised upgrade: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/06/15/10320645.aspx. I just hope it comes before our next release...

You are being very vague. Does it speak good or bad volumes, and what is your initial impression? :P

[quote name='tom_mai78101' timestamp='1349073513' post='4985654']
You are being very vague. Does it speak good or bad volumes, and what is your initial impression? tongue.png
[/quote]
Simply slick. That's all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement