Visual Studio Express 2012 Yay

Started by
56 comments, last by Ryan_001 11 years, 4 months ago
This is how I made mine, I took a lot of time and carefully crafted a color scheme

syntaxhighlight.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

Advertisement
Please teach me on what part of the text is what for the colors in the "Fonts and Colors", "Text Editor", list of fields there.

I wanted to make similar color schemes for VS2012, from my Eclipse. But I have trouble identifying many various terms used in that list in the vertical scrolling pane.

Eclipse:

NC1sP.png

Update #2:

[s]Received feedback[/s] Saw this, and thought why they didn't do anything about it. :

IxD9a.png
I posted a screenshot of what I came up with. I have a multi-monitor setup so the solution explorer, output, properties, ect... are on other monitors. That way I can have 2 code windows up on the same screen. Being able to see both the header and cpp file at the same time is really nice.

Also while playing around with the colors I made myself some notes. I'm not sure of the accuracy of them, or their conciseness, but I found they helped me when setting up my own custom color theme. I really think somewhere on MSDN they should explain not only all the items but also their relationship to one another. Anyways I pasted them in the quote below, the tabs didn't quite make the copy/past, but ah well...

In order of precedence (as you move down 'groups' each subsequent group will replace, or overwrite the previous ones)
Any time 'automatic' is used as a color, the color of the next lowest precedence is used.

[group 0, lowest precedence]:
Plain Text - default text when nothing else applies
- usually what is used when 'Automatic' is used

[group 1]:
Comment - comments
Identifier - any name (variable, class, enum, label, typedef, template parameter, function parameter, ect...)
- the C++ specific ones take precedence
Keyword - any keyword in any language
Literal - any literal (include strings, numbers, headers, ect...)
Operator - punctuation, symbols, ect... (+, -, comma, braces, ect...)
Preprocessor Keyword - #include, #define, ect...

[group 2]:
Number - any number literal (5, 0.6f, ect...)
String - any string literal ("bob", includes headers like <iostream>)
URL Hyperlink - used when it detects a comment is a hyperlink

[group 3]:
C/C++ User Keywords - no idea
- the documentation seems to says its for macro's, but it doesn't seem to work
C++ Class Templates - the class name of a class which has templates
- example in: template <typename T> class Bob {}; - BOB would be the 'Class Template'
- does not apply to normal class names
- example in: class Bob2 {}; - Bob2 is NOT a 'Class template'
C++ Enumerators - the items within an enumeration
- example in: enum Bob { one, two }; - one and two are enumerators
C++ Events - not sure
C++ Fields - member variables
- example in: class Bob { int a,b; }; - a and b are fields
- does not apply to static member variables
- does not apply to member functions
C++ Function Templates - the function name of a function template
- example in: template <typename T> void Func () {} - the Func would be the 'Function Template'
- does not apply to normal function names
- does not apply to template member functions
C++ Functions - non-template function names
C++ Labels - goto/jump labels
C++ Local Variables - any variable defined within a function
- includes nested local variables (ie. variables defined inside a lmbda function)
C++ Macros - the name of a macro definitions
- example in: #define BOB - BOB would be the 'User Keyword'
- includes both normal macros and function macros
C++ Member Functions - member functions
- includes template member functions
C++ Namespaces - namespaces, nothing special here
C++ Parameters - function parameters
- does not apply to template parameters
C++ Properties - not a clue
C++ Static Fields - static member variables
C++ Static Member Functions - static member functions
C++ User Types - user defined types (not all)
- class names, typedef's, typename and class template parameters
- does not include template class definitions, but includes their usage
- does not include functions
C++ variables - global variables

[group 4]:
Highlight Current Line (Active) - colors background of current line, when editor has focus
Highlight Current Line (Inactive) - colors background of current line, when menus or other windows have focus

[group 5, higest precedence]:
Selected Text - background color of selected text
- doesn't seem to completely replace background, seems to 'tint' it in some cases, not sure how this works exactly
Brace Matching (Highlight) - doesn't seem to work
Brace Matching (Rectangle) - brace matching background color
- only applies to {} and () but not <>
Highlighter Reference - colors background of similar identifiers
Excluded Code - does nothing
- by default the editor will 'darken' the excluded code (make it look more like the background)
- changing this value seems to have no effect on the default action[/quote]
Thanks to your notes, it has tremendously helped me.

Also, I would like to fill in a few blanks in your notes:

C/C++ User Keywords - User defined words.

How to define them:
1. Create a blank text file.
2. Type any words you want to define.
Example:
Date
3. Save the blank text file as "usertype.dat".
4. Open Windows Explorer.
5. Navigate to "(Visual Studio Installation Directory)/Common7/IDE"
6. Place "usertype.dat" in there.
7. Restart Visual Studio IDE of your choice. (If not opened yet, run VS IDE.)
8. Type the words you have defined and you should see them highlighted. Syntax must be correct.

C++ Events -

Possibly this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4b612y2s(v=vs.110).aspx

C++ Properties -

Possibly this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yhfk0thd(v=vs.110).aspx

Excluded Code - does nothing
- by default the editor will 'darken' the excluded code (make it look more like the background)
- To actually exclude inactive code:

1. In Visual Studio 2012, go to:
Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Formatting
2. In the "Inactive Code" pane, change the "Inactive Code Opacity Percent" to your desired value.
3. Excluded codes will either disappear or reappear in the text editor.

[/quote]

Regarding targeting XP, I've found this: Visual C++ Team Blog - Targeting Windows XP with C++ in Visual Studio 2012. I wonder if there has been any accomplishments in this area since the post was made, or what the current situation is.

There's a newer post about XP targetting here: CTP of Windows XP Targeting with C++ in Visual Studio 2012

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

As a student at a University they automatically created me a nice Academic Institution Dreamspark Account. It's nice to be able get the professional edition and even upgrade the Windows OS for free. I right now love Visual Studio 2012. Though I haven't really done a big project with yet so I do not know how some of my libraries I have work with it yet.

There's a newer post about XP targetting here: CTP of Windows XP Targeting with C++ in Visual Studio 2012

Thanks alot for spotting this, I would have missed it. I still have to wait until I can convince my Boss that everybody should switch to VS2012 (which I am already using, I just switched the Platform Toolkit to 2009 - I love the new IDE!), since there are still major no-go's:

If static analysis is required, we recommend that you switch the solution to the normal v110 toolset, execute static analysis, and then switch back to v110_xp.
[/quote]
Yeah, static analysis in non premium/ultimate editions are the main issue that help me selling VS2012 to the Boss. Yes, switching back and forth would be an option, but I want the static code analysis to run (incrementally) whenever somebody triggers a build. I know my fellow developers. They would not switch back and forth just to run the analysis... I also want the static code analysis to run on our build-bots (jenkins) for every build (i.e. whenever somebody pushes new code or a snapshot build is triggered).

The Visual C++ 2012 Redistributables in “Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\redist\1033” have not been updated to include Windows XP support. For this preview release, please use static linking when targeting Windows XP or deploy the C++ runtime DLLs from “Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\redist\<architecture>” inside your executable’s installation folder.
[/quote]
That's an absolute no-go for shipping this to customer.

Also, this give the Qt developers the chance to update their code to comply with the VS2012 compiler... (it's not really Qt but Webkit that is acting up, though. If anyone's interested in the code to compile Qt 4.8.3 including Webkit with VS2012, PM me)

[quote name='Ravyne' timestamp='1349981117' post='4989200']

Thanks alot for spotting this, I would have missed it. I still have to wait until I can convince my Boss that everybody should switch to VS2012 (which I am already using, I just switched the Platform Toolkit to 2009 - I love the new IDE!), since there are still major no-go's:

If static analysis is required, we recommend that you switch the solution to the normal v110 toolset, execute static analysis, and then switch back to v110_xp.
[/quote]
Yeah, static analysis in non premium/ultimate editions are the main issue that help me selling VS2012 to the Boss. Yes, switching back and forth would be an option, but I want the static code analysis to run (incrementally) whenever somebody triggers a build. I know my fellow developers. They would not switch back and forth just to run the analysis... I also want the static code analysis to run on our build-bots (jenkins) for every build (i.e. whenever somebody pushes new code or a snapshot build is triggered).
[/quote]
I'm not certain that static analysis works incrementally or not, it would seem to me that even if code changes were localized, they'd still bubble up through the rest of the application. Unfortunately, because of the incompatibilities between the SAL annotations, it's something that will have to be lived with. In general, while such attention to detail is a virtue, it seems more practical to just perform static analysis on the build server. Large projects can take quite a long time to analyze, and the variety of settings and tuneings thereof is probably something to keep centralized.

It's been years since I've used their static analysis thought, so I might be out of date.

The Visual C++ 2012 Redistributables in “Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\redist\1033” have not been updated to include Windows XP support. For this preview release, please use static linking when targeting Windows XP or deploy the C++ runtime DLLs from “Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\redist\<architecture>” inside your executable’s installation folder.
[/quote]
That's an absolute no-go for shipping this to customer.
[/quote]
Remember that what's discussed in the blog is just a Technical Preview, so some work-arounds are to be expected. By the time this is shipping "for real" in VS2012 Update 1, the redistributable files will be updated appropriately.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

It's nice to be able get the professional edition and even upgrade the Windows OS for free.

Like, how?
Somehow I just can't come to terms with the new UI. :(

I mean, Microsoft has never been about visual design but this is just bad, MENU BAR, Y U SCREAM AT ME!?...

Guess I'll just have to adapt, will give it a few more tries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement