Want to make RTS strategy game, good starting point...?

Started by
19 comments, last by NOLANDI 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi, everybody!
I find this community because I did research about game developing topics. So I decide to register on this community and ask for your opinion.
I am not begineer in computer stuffs, and I know logic of programming language. I have little knowlegde of C, C++, Started to learn C#...but I was always oriented about other areas of IT. Amateur for game making but not in IT general!

I am interested to make RTS strategy video game, isometric camera view (like PC GAME DESPERADOS for example)...so I started to read many books about DirectX, XNA, OpenGL, C#, AI programming...so I want to know where is good starting point for making this game genre.

I want to use C# for this project, not C++, since I always had trouble with it, because it is too complicated.
I see good oportunity for learning C#, since it has more object-oriented concept, with much less code and easy readible code for writing. Beside of that I know that C++ is the more powerful language until today.

So I want to use DirectX and C# for my project. But I have trouble with finding books for c# & DirectX (I found just one), but in every next book,
it is used c++!
I read many web sites and they mentioned Slim DX, and in generaly, other articles which I read tells that it is possible to make good game with combination c# and directX, but...I don't have enough information about all this stuffs, so I became confused! It is really hard to have wish to learn c++ from scratch, since I started c# and I like it really...I don't try OpenGL, but I am already familiar with DirectX (some beginning stuffs), and I think that it is good and interesting.

XNA...hm, it sound that it is not bad solution, but I heard that it is already overcome technology, and I think that it is better to wait with XNA, until I try to make something with DirectX and C#, at first. But I dont know it is possible to make strategy game in XNA?! Maybe I am wrong.

I also, find Unity 3D game engine and I find that I could programming there in C#, but again it doesn't have enough support for c#.
All examples are written in Javascript...maybe even it don't support to write RTS strategy in it?!

I want to find best way to learn both of those languages, and make this game, but I dont know if it's possible?!

Thank you all!
I am willing to hear your expirience.
Advertisement
Evening,

I would advise you to stick with XNA and C#. XNA covers lots of things for you.
Also, from what i grasp, you are beginner in programing. Personal advise - just don't go 3D yet.

Good starting point in my opinion would be C#, XNA, 2D "pixel men" sprites (or at least black cubes) and some study of A* path finding algorithm.

I also, find Unity 3D game engine and I find that I could programming there in C#, but again it doesn't have enough support for c#.

I'm guessing by support you mean tutorials and examples (rather than meaning language/library support)? I actually found there to be a massive amount available (just look in the tutorial section) and there are also a lot of books to bring you up on the basics.

All examples are written in Javascript...maybe even it don't support to write RTS strategy in it?!

As I mentioned there are a lot of C# examples available right on the Unity site and in other places. You can definitely use the Unity to build an RTS as I prototyped one in pre-production in under two weeks when testing which technology we wanted to use going forward.
@Sollum

I agree that it is important to understand good how to program 2d eniviroment, then I will have better understanding of 3d programming for sure.

Thank you for advices.

What is your expirience about game making in Unity3d? Do you use it?

@Saruman

Hi, man! I see that you are expirenced developer, so I appreciate a lot your opinions.
Then you recommend me to use Unity. By the way, what is your opinion about XNA? I think that I will try both, Unity & XNA, because to learn more 2D Game concept with XNA...

When I said that Unity doesn't have support I think exactly on tutorials and examples on C#, not language support (but I do research on Unity web site and find great references manual on c#). Digital tutors has also great video tutorials on this topics, but in JS are all examples. :(

Where to learn how to learn more about strategy game programming concept in Unity (for example camera, GUI...)?

Thank you guys, again! ;)
Even if XNA is fully canceled, there are always projects like MonoGame to bridge the gap. I also don't see Microsoft fully ditching its investment, but perhaps XNA will undergo a name change.
Personally i think you should start with the allegro gaming library/c++ its not all that hard once you get the basics down such as arrays,variables,datatypes,functions and objects. But do yourself a fav and learn the language you will program a game in first then start planing on making an RTS game after all we all had to start somewhere.
You can really make any kind of game with XNA. I would say go with C# learn the basics (if you feel conformable and move into some minor XNA. (Pong/Simon Says/Basic point and click games) and see how it feels to you.

Also, (personally) I've found that starting with C# and XNA is a bit easier than C#/C++ and DirectX. DirectX to me feels like "I've already been into graphic libraries and programming for a while lets check this out" type of setup. Because I went with DX for a while but I felt a bit overwhelmed, so I went to Python and Pygame then now I'm into XNA and C# and I love it so far. The tutorials are very nice and the XNA/Xbox site for creating games is a nice starter http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-us/education/gamedevelopment (about half way down the page)

Just go with what you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel good about C# and it doesn't make alot of sense yet, step back and try some basic python.

and Good luck :D
I just find book: Sean James - 3D Graphics with XNA Game Studio 4.0.
When I saw code in the book, it looks more, more easier then DirectX, and I think that it is excellent for learning basics on good way. I will find more books for XNA, but I dont give up from Unity.

Probably, I will leave DirectX, OpenGL, because they are more advanced stuffs for learning (and slower pace of learning-since I am hobby programmer it is not good for me ).

I have basic knowlegde of c# but I will expand it for sure. I know it is very important.

But, what is the future of XNA? I didn't understand @shadowisadog.
XNA is cancelled? Does XNA games have future or XNA will be changed with some other technology? It is very important to look things forward. Can we run XNA games on Windows 8 even?

Beside of that, could someone give me some link where I can learn programming strategy games in XNA?

Thank you everybody ;)
From what it looks like @shadowisadog was stating that even IF XNA was canceled there are other projects that you could use that would allow you to continue development.

"I also don't see Microsoft fully ditching its investment" < which makes sense to me because I believe XNA is still being widely used for XBLA development.
Start with Hello World in C#. Take a few steps from there. Focus on syntax first. Trying to learn syntax and idioms and graphical programming and some rendering library and.... All at the same time? Let's just say that's not going to go well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement