So I finished the Game From Scratch Tutorial

Started by
7 comments, last by ISDCaptain01 11 years, 6 months ago
I thought it was pretty good. It gave me practice in implementing the c++ i learned. So I applied what I learned.
However, I feel like im still in position where I couldnt do that without a tutorial or hand holding. Is that normal?
Ive only started programming seriously for 7 months now. I had some hard time in the tutorial grasping things like
dynamic casting, the collision detection, and the UML stuff, and lastly the cache concepts.
Advertisement
Rinse and repeat.

It took me years before I felt comfortable doing things without tutorials.
It's not like riding a bike, where as soon as the training wheels come off you're ready to hit the road for life.

Even without tutorials, you're still going to spend a lot of time looking through code samples, references, and documentation when you work on your own stuff, and they're still a useful way to get insight into new territory - I don't think you ever stop learning as a programmer and tutorials happen to be a pretty efficient way to do that.

The good news is, that "hand holding" will keep your early projects on track and leaves you open to experimenting on tiny, ambitious ways to improve instead of a crazy project you'd never finish. You can start with a pong tutorial and expand it into a full breakout game. Take a full featured platformer, improve the features and map management, and create a small Metroid-style adventure. Just find new tutorials to master and gradually challenge yourself.
It is probably time you step up. Time to write something yourself. Pick a project that is within your limits, or maybe just slightly over it. Get hackin. Ask questions when you get stuck. stackoverflow.com is great for that, as well as various forums including here.

c++ really clicked for me when I realized all data in cpp is a series of bytes. Even an int is a series of (usually 4 )bytes. Every class you ever made is a series of bytes with a known size. If you want or in some cases need to access them byte by byte, you can get the address of something and store it in a pointer.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

It is probably time you step up. Time to write something yourself. Pick a project that is within your limits, or maybe just slightly over it. Get hackin. Ask questions when you get stuck. stackoverflow.com is great for that, as well as various forums including here.

c++ really clicked for me when I realized all data in cpp is a series of bytes. Even an int is a series of (usually 4 )bytes. Every class you ever made is a series of bytes with a known size. If you want or in some cases need to access them byte by byte, you can get the address of something and store it in a pointer.

Yay bytes! I just recently was in an 'Intro to C' class and we were talking about bytes and how a 'char' is only one byte. Then we got into a rant about the pronnunciation of char, whether it should be 'ch-arr' or 'k-air', then some how got into talking about pokemon. That's Community College programming for ya.
Actually, that is exactly the point of that tutorial, its to bridge the gap between single topic tutorials and completing a complete game. This is why it was so overwhelmingly engineered for a game as simple as pong.Now take what you learned and make something slightly more complex and as said earlier repeat and rinse.
Ive actually been sent a few of the next projects from people that finished that tutorial and I am downright amazed by their progress.
So take what youve learned, reusue the basic skeleton and create a more complex game. Create a game YOU want to want.
Basically if you feel you dont need a tutorial for your next project, ive done my job. :)
Tutorials will go away but you will always need docs.

Actually, that is exactly the point of that tutorial, its to bridge the gap between single topic tutorials and completing a complete game. This is why it was so overwhelmingly engineered for a game as simple as pong.Now take what you learned and make something slightly more complex and as said earlier repeat and rinse.
Ive actually been sent a few of the next projects from people that finished that tutorial and I am downright amazed by their progress.
So take what youve learned, reusue the basic skeleton and create a more complex game. Create a game YOU want to want.

Yeah I think the superb engineering and design pattern were too much for a newb like me lol. But im still gonna keep going. Thanks for the tutorial hope you do something like pacman or tetris next so people like me can follow :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement