What to use for c# games and XNA...software

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys,

i have always been interested in making games

after talking to a lot of people i have decided to learn c# and hopefully later get into making games with MS XNA game studio (much later)

but i also want to start learning other things that will go towards game design

namely:

image creation / animation

sound effects

game engines

as for graphics...whats the best way to create graphics from scratch? 2d and 3d...would it be useful to know photoshop?...or is there better software for this purpose. are adobe products good for this...like indesign or something...as for animation my friend told me that XSI softimage is pretty easy to use and is powerful? i been reading that blender is good...but difficult to use...

How do you create sounds for games? are there sample libraries you just down load...or is this purely self recording using audacity or something similar...i can make music on FL studio etc...so thats not too much of a worry.

i can google game engines and decide which engine is best for the type of game i am designing...read that unity is pretty versatile...

i guess the overall question is:

what skill set or mastering of software will make me a one man army in game design...this is purely for my own hobby. Im looking for a good combination of skills (and software) to be able to build semi decent games.

any ideas?

very interested in reading your replies

thanks for reading
J0n1n
Advertisement
Hey, man. I'm kinda in the same boat, trying to figure out what skills would be best for me to diversify myself professionally and as a programming nerd. I took up C++ myself, although I've been itching to pick up C# since I used Unity, which is a great free game developing program, for a tad bit to tinker with. Although using applications wasn't really my thing, I have this strange want to start everything from scratch, i decided to try making my own applications. I just started teaching myself programming about a month ago and have started taking a class for C. I see that you're trying to get into EVERYTHING at once, and I think that's great, but if I were you I'd definitely try and focus on one thing at a time.

Simply put, if you want to be a one man army, you gotta get one thing down before you can start breaking the walls with your mad skills.

I mean, that's how I'm approaching this anyway. You could be a damned genius for all I know.
hey man thanks for your reply...Genius???....aaaaaaaaah no not quite...but not too thick either...if that counts
i guess you right...i agree...i will focus on c# first...get to know it well and move on from there...

good luck on your journey...speak again
Well, since it is a hobby, you might want to consider having all your programs be free and open source in the early stages.

Free open source 3D making programs that I use and like are Blender and Wings 3D. For 2D issues, GIMP is a free open source program which I really enjoy and so far has met all my needs.

Look for resource pages here at gamedev such as:
http://www.gamedev.n...-art-assets-09/
http://www.gamedev.n...ion-check-here/

Search the internet for free and open source sprites, 3D models, and 2D images - millions of them it seems - which can make your work much easier.

Free open source C# graphics rendering programs or game engines which have powerful support to make your own game system include Unity 3D, MOgre 3D, and Axiom 3D. Consider XNA and know that you can overcome platform compatibility issues with Mono or MonoDevelop.

Here is a link to a list of Physics engines which are common in games, giving evidence to you that it is possible to use all free and open source plug-ins to build your game engine:
http://www.ogre3d.or...hp?f=11&t=63839

After a while, you will probably need an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), so look at MonoDevelop, Visual Studio (Express is free), and Mono. Most game systems use one of these three, so not to be ignored. cool.png

Lastly, having a strong community support around the system which you choose is crucial, in my opinion.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement