Coding

Started by
7 comments, last by CryoGenesis 11 years, 6 months ago
Heyo, (hopefully I posted this in the right place) I'm new to game code or game engines. I've been more of an html sort of person but there comes a point in every young adventurer's life when web design becomes a tad boring.
A lot boring.
A great deal boring. [I'm sure you get the point]
So, I've been coming up with a pen and paper rpg for a while now but a friend of mine got me onto the idea of developing it into a (no doubt rubbish) game. So I did a bit of research and flexed the ol' google muscle and came up with Unity as my best bet for a potential game engine.
I know the cons are quite a few for the free version (and no way in hell am I buying the pro version) so I wanted to know if Unity is a good choice or if I should be looking into different code/engine options.
Thanks.

[Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place by the way]
Advertisement
Welcome to coding I suppose! :P
Unity I would say would be a good starter point. Also check out http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio < The free version to get an idea how you want to make your game. I feel like gamemaker is more for .. prototyping? So that's an option as well. :P But yeah try Unity out and see if you like it. If so, get into it and start making a simple game and work your way up. Can't make a FF or Chrono Trigger till you've made a few old school point and click basic as hell RPG's. :P
There are several options for different purposes. If you want to make a simple game, classic turn battle rpg, like old school final fantasy, you'll always have the trusty Rpg Maker. Other small engines like Game Maker, etc. Unity is a great engine, and a great deal of work is put in it. But if you are just starting, its better to start with text based games, and move on slowly, to avoid bitting more than you can chew, since finishing a game is a very important part of creating games.
Thanks for the reply guys smile.png
I see your points, can't run before you walk (and you can't walk if you've had one too many)
I think I'll go with your advice and try out something a bit my speed first like Pong.
Thanks again smile.png
As always id suggest allegro along side c++ if your a beginner its 100% free not pro/free version
Depending on how much time you have, learning a language can be really beneficial to you. Programming is more of a mindset then it is specific code -- Lots of great games have terrible code (Though never strive for this, obviously :P ) Knowing one would be beneficial to you, even with engines like Unity.

So if you've got a bit of time to learn, just dedicate yourself to coding. Its like an instrument, and has to be practiced like one. Just crank it out and you'll be amazed at how much you get done in little time. If you don't have a bunch of time, learning a smaller engine that doesn't require much or any code is probably preferable. You could always try and do both.
Well. Torque3D went recently open source: https://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/overview

Sources: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D

I understand its on the same league as Unity.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Do you have any "special requirements" other than it being a game engine? For example, what platform(s) would you like to develop for?

I personally don't like Unity (find it somewhat non-intuitive to work with). However, it does support deploying to multiple platforms with no or minor fuzz. If you're valuing cross-platform deployment greatly then it is probably one of the best choices out there.
I've started making some game development tutorials on youtube, You don't need any coding experience because it teaches you java. I've only just started but I'm uploading two tutorials a day. I'm trying to keep the tutorials simple enough to help people who know little about programming.
www.youtube.com/gendev2012

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement