• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
azonicrider

Should I give up?

34 posts in this topic

[quote name='NxLeaf' timestamp='1349168818' post='4986002']
I think, it depend on yourself.
what's the goal of you making this game.
practice your perl?
or practice your game programming.
if it's the first. that will be every important to you. because. you can effort the difficult and get archivement.
but if you just wanna go the road of game programming. C/C++ AS3 etc. maybe more sutiable for you.
every language has it's good at field. just as our human being. every body have their good at thing.

so. go your way. pratice more. more failed. closer to the success.
[/quote]
Both. I just love Perl, and want it to be my weapon of choice for web developing, game developing, etc.
I could go into detail. For one, I have alot of experience with PHP, so using dollar signs for variables, is built into my mind.
[quote name='Scyllinice' timestamp='1349192728' post='4986073']
[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1349143049' post='4985926']
How come I can run C and C++ programs without installing anything, yet when I run a program written in Java or Ruby, I need to install the compilers for those languages?

[url="http://en.wikipedia....mming_language"]http://en.wikipedia....mming_language[/url])
[/quote]

C and C++ are natively compiled. Generally, the shared runtime libraries are already installed by default.

Ruby and Java are interpreted languages. They require an interpreter to run programs. (Yes, Java is interpreted by the JVM)
[/quote]So in other words, there would be less steps for getting a C game to work, than getting a Java game to work.

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1349195588' post='4986091']
So in other words, there would be less steps for getting a C game to work, than getting a Java game to work.
[/quote]

Not always. There are tradeoffs.

Java, for example, will support any system that has a JVM. So your software will be cross platform pretty easily.

Native apps don't have that same luxury. If you're trying to do cross platform development, you're going to have different steps on each platform.

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1349146928' post='4985933']
I have tried LOVE and I like it, but I want to stick with Perl.
[/quote]

My favorite language is python, but I had to drop it in favor of Love2D/lua, because of python's bothersome packaging of a game project into a single executable file for different platforms. In order to keep going I had to choose another tool. So, you have a choice in this situation: stick with perl and get delayed (maybe for a long time without any progress) or change your programming tool to a more appropriate one and keep going on. A language/compiler/whatever is just a tool for a programmer. Have you ever seen any worker, who says something like: "You see, I'm used to my screwdriver, so I'm not going to use this hammer"? Just my 2 cents [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]

Scyllinice, I understand that. However I have no experience with Macs. I wonder how many gamers would be mad, if I excluded that from the available OS's...

I'll find a way. Perl is used by thousands, more than likely a few of those users could help me on my path.

Besides, I want experience with raw SDL.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1349143049' post='4985926']How come I can run C and C++ programs without installing anything, yet when I run a program written in Java or Ruby, I need to install the compilers for those languages?[/quote]
Any programming language can be either "Compiled" or "Interpreted" (I'm simplifying here). A compiled program is pre-translated into machine language (the 0's and 1's computers run on). An interpreted language is translated to machine language on the fly by another program (and is also slower).

That's why you need to install another program to run interpreted languages.

Now, to get a bit more into this, both approaches have their advantages. And, just to clarify, any programming language can be compiled or interpreted. However, many languages have a default choice.
A compiled language is faster and doesn't require an interpreter (the program interpreted code runs on). Updates require recompilation of the entire program, and compilation is typically slow.
An interpreted language can be paused and altered on-the-fly. Updating the interpreter to a newer, better standard, automatically updates the interpreted program, and compilation is typically fast - To an intermediate "bytecode", generally. That is, compression of your code to a sequence of bytes which can be interpreted much faster than reading and interpreting a text file. However, because they require an interpreter to "talk" to the computer, interpreting a language will always (assuming equally well-written compiler and interpreter) be slower than compiling that same language.

There's a third option, JIT, or "Just-In-Time" compilation, where the code is first converted to bytecode, then each piece is compiled when it's first needed by a JIT compiler. It has some (but not all) of the advantages of compiling and interpreting, and also some (but not all) of their downsides. But that's more than is needed to get into here.

So in short, your c program is probably compiled, your perl program is probably interpreted. Try looking for a compiler for perl (and, just for fun, an interpreter for c - There probably is one).

Don't change frameworks just because you think that the completed game has some requirements. Everything you develop on is going to have to some requirements or game data anyway. Try to understand about how installations work, how to check if something is already installed.

Look for information about a piece of software called Inno Setup, that creates scripts for installers, while checking if something is already installed and installing it if it's not. Study some more and go through these obstacles, its a part of software development. Don't give up.

[quote name='Arthur Souza' timestamp='1349291603' post='4986498']
Don't change frameworks just because you think that the completed game has some requirements. Everything you develop on is going to have to some requirements or game data anyway. Try to understand about how installations work, how to check if something is already installed.

Look for information about a piece of software called Inno Setup, that creates scripts for installers, while checking if something is already installed and installing it if it's not. Study some more and go through these obstacles, its a part of software development. Don't give up.
[/quote]
Everything takes longer and costs more than you think.

Never planned on changing frameworks(as much as I do love LÖVE, Slmgc).

Narf I do appreciate you writing that out, as you can tell I'm not too educated on compilation. What I'm worried about is, if I get all the source code compiled so theres no need for Strawberry Perl, how will the program locate the SDL stuff I need?

[quote name='azonicrider' timestamp='1349298556' post='4986543']
Never planned on changing frameworks(as much as I do love LÖVE, Slmgc).

Narf I do appreciate you writing that out, as you can tell I'm not too educated on compilation. What I'm worried about is, if I get all the source code compiled so theres no need for Strawberry Perl, how will the program locate the SDL stuff I need?
[/quote]
For that, you'd have to ask a C expert; I've never gone closer to C than C++, sorry. :)

C experts? What about Perl experts? haha I assume you got confused, but yea I'll seek some [url="http://perlmonks.org/?node=Seekers%20of%20Perl%20Wisdom"]Perl wisdom[/url], when the time comes.