entering a string of data to an ofstream file

Started by
5 comments, last by wayneprim 11 years, 6 months ago
I am trying to create a program that allows the user to do 2 things (create a new file in the current directory, or search a file and display the word count) The word count works fine but when I try to allow the user to create a file it starts going wrong. I first ask the user to input a filename, and then enter some initial data into a string variable. That string variable gets passed to the createFile() function which takes care of entering the data into the file.

When I run this program I enter the file data I wish to put in the created file, say for example " Hello File Data" and when I look into that file once its been created there is only the first word ("Hello") in the case of this example. Here is the code:

The main function:

[source lang="cpp"]

cout << "Enter the file name: " << endl;
cin >> filename;
outFile.open(filename.c_str());//create the file

if (!outFile)
{
//file could not be created
cout<< "File could not be completed" << endl;
break;

}
else // file was created
cout << "FILE WAS COMPLETED NAMED: " << filename << endl;;

//ask the user to put some data y/n
cout << "Would you like to set some initial data in the file? y/n" << endl;
cin >> choice;
switch(choice)
{
case 'y':
cout << "Enter the data: " << endl;

cin >> filedata;
user1.createFile(outFile, filedata);
break;
case 'n':
cout << "Ok then dont create initial data... Your created file is blank" << endl;
break;
}

[/source]

The create filefunction:
[source lang="cpp"]
void User::createFile(ofstream &outfile, string filedata)
{
//output the file into outfile
outfile << filedata;

cout << "You have successfully saved the data you entered" << endl;

}
[/source]

Please help! smile.png

Thanks

I will attach the zip folder as well just in case...
Advertisement
Beside your zip packing (unnamed .zip in another zip) the problem is that you're using the input stream >> operator.
The input stream stops at the first blank it encounters.

Try std::getline:

std::getline ( std::cin, filedata );

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

do i use the getline on the function that is called or when I first get the input from the user?
because when I use it in the main function, getline(cin, filedata), and then run the program i automatically skips that and doesn't let me enter anything.
Use it in the switch/case where you currently do

std::cin >> filedata

Replace that with

std::getline ( std::cin, filedata );

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Thanks, but now when I change cin>> to getline() the program doesn't let me enter the data. Instead it just skips the data and jumps to your data has been entered successfully... Is there anyway to make the program "pause" to allow me to enter the data?
never mind I got it with cin.ignore() thanks for the help!! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement