Mmorpg in Visual Basic?

Started by
15 comments, last by larspensjo 11 years, 5 months ago

[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1349195919' post='4986092']
and I find it very very hard to believe that one person would actually be able to pull something like that off.

As an example of MORPG made by one developer and his wife: http://www.eternal-lands.com/
You can easily google for Eternal Land's postmortem from Radu Privantu.
[/quote]

FYI, I was talking about an MMO, not an MO ;) I know there are MO's made by single developers.

When I say MMO I mean games like WoW, Guild Wars, EVE, etc. Basically games which are actually 'Massive'

I gets all your texture budgets!

Advertisement

[quote name='slmgc' timestamp='1349197327' post='4986099']
[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1349195919' post='4986092']
and I find it very very hard to believe that one person would actually be able to pull something like that off.

As an example of MORPG made by one developer and his wife: http://www.eternal-lands.com/
You can easily google for Eternal Land's postmortem from Radu Privantu.
[/quote]

FYI, I was talking about an MMO, not an MO ;) I know there are MO's made by single developers.

When I say MMO I mean games like WoW, Guild Wars, EVE, etc. Basically games which are actually 'Massive'
[/quote]

I wouldn't put guildwars in the MMO category tbh, its so heavily instanced that it is essentially a normal multiplayer game for all practical purposes. (there can be lots of players in the towns but thats really just a fancy lobby for what is essentially a normal MORPG (highest number of players in a game in guildwars is 16 or 24(alliance battles involve 24 players but seem to be played as a series of 4vs4 games) which is hardly massive by any standard))
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I wouldn't put guildwars in the MMO category tbh, its so heavily instanced that it is essentially a normal multiplayer game for all practical purposes. (there can be lots of players in the towns but thats really just a fancy lobby for what is essentially a normal MORPG (highest number of players in a game in guildwars is 16 or 24(alliance battles involve 24 players but seem to be played as a series of 4vs4 games) which is hardly massive by any standard))

Yes, I actually was in doubt of whether Guild Wars qualified myself, but I think it does qualify as massive when looking at it from a content perspective

I gets all your texture budgets!

Never specified if he was using VB6 or VB.net....

Assuming VB.net then its possible with XNA. VB6 and below I have no idea what libraries are available but I assume something more than capable of an MMO exists.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1349202001' post='4986128']

Yes, I actually was in doubt of whether Guild Wars qualified myself, but I think it does qualify as massive when looking at it from a content perspective
[/quote]

The first M traditionally refers to the scale of the multiplayer itself(Massivly Multiplayer) not the size of the game world (MMOs tend to be large content wise in order to get players to spread out since large crowds will inevitably chew up insane amounts of bandwidth), it is possible to make a MMO with a small game world if you restrict direct player->player interactions (Which is what most web based MMOs do). (Allthough some webbased "MMOs" restrict player->player interactions to such a point that one can debate weather it is a multiplayer game or a singleplayer game with some social features tacked on).

As for the VB6 vs VB.Net debate, it really doesn't matter in the end, VB6 is an awful language and i'd personally stay away from it but any language that can open a socket and display graphics can be used for a MMO client. (For the server you just have to be able to open a socket (Other features can make your life alot easier though))
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
The answer is yes

For 4 years Development this MMORPG on VB 6.0

Alone by my selft, 6-8 months to finish

http://www.facebook.com/DARKWAROnline

16 years Development on visual Basic 6.0

The server suport up to 4000 users

31 - 10 -2013 MMORPG Lanch
A MMORPG constsists of at least two applications: a client and a server. You didn't specify which part in your question. And then there are eventually a couple of other applications that will be needed, like a web site, etc.

As many say, starting with an MMORPG as a first project is very hard. But I would not discourage it, because you will almost certainly learn a lot.

But prepare for the possibility that the project, as a whole, is not successful. If so, you want to maximize your return from it. That is, what new knowledge will benefit you the most? Programming a MMORPG requires experience from almost every possible computer science.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement