Lighting newb?

Started by
4 comments, last by OmarShehata 11 years, 6 months ago
I'm writing my game in Lua but I'm using GLSL for my shaders.

So I want to add a little light to my game, but I have little to no knowledge about 2D or 3D lighting. Specular lights, normal maps, ambient occlusions..all that stuff, I have no idea how any of it works.

So before diving into anything, I thought I'd ask if anyone had any good articles about delving into the matter, or a set of articles that explain the theory well. My game is in 2D and the end result that I would like to achieve is something like this:

or this:

Any help, general tips and links would be appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Even if your game is 2d, the math behind this kind of lighting is 3d. I would recommend the book real-time rendering for all the basic stuff, it is really good and will explain all you need to know about normal mapping.

Even if your game is 2d, the math behind this kind of lighting is 3d. I would recommend the book real-time rendering for all the basic stuff, it is really good and will explain all you need to know about normal mapping.

Another vote for real-time rendering here, it's a must-have book for any graphics programmer, beginner or pro

I gets all your texture budgets!

[quote name='Ashaman73' timestamp='1349161696' post='4985976']

Another vote for real-time rendering here, it's a must-have book for any graphics programmer, beginner or pro
[/quote]

Wow, that book looks awesome. And it's written by the people that made LBP? (Or is that just a happy coincidence that the character is on the cover? :P)

I'll definitely check it out. Anymore links/articles would be appreciated! Thanks!

e to go through it eventually, but for now,

I'll definietly ch

And it's written by the people that made LBP?

I'm not sure whether any of the authors actually worked on LBP, I know Naty Hoffman has worked for SCEA for a while but I have no idea which projects.

I have a whole bunch of graphics articles lying around, but they're mostly for very specific topics

I gets all your texture budgets!

[quote name='OmarShehata' timestamp='1349198786' post='4986106']
And it's written by the people that made LBP?

I'm not sure whether any of the authors actually worked on LBP, I know Naty Hoffman has worked for SCEA for a while but I have no idea which projects.

I have a whole bunch of graphics articles lying around, but they're mostly for very specific topics
[/quote]

You can go ahead and post a few, I'll need them eventually.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement