A Unique FPS Game

Started by
9 comments, last by Gle4se 11 years, 6 months ago
Okay , this is my first post here on the community so I'll try to make it simple smile.png

So, I'm making a Comic Book right now, but I spend most of time gaming and what I really think is that gaming itself lost its way trought the years , I'm not gonna lie, there's good games , but less than before.... Gaming started to be repetetive and the genre that shows us the most of this repetition is the First Person Shooters. Call of Duty vs Battlefield, the never ending battle, Unreal is dead, I dont believe Halo is going anyware either, Crysis isnt a Multiplayer game, MOH same stuff as unreal, and the list goes on , from the least know to the already listed and popular games.
When I started at first I tought : "I wanna do a new genre", but thats almost impossible, it would take a genious do think of something like that, and Im just not that kind of person, I'm the artist type x).

So my idea: People are complaining that PC is lost on exclusives, people dont want CoD clones, people like competition, but they also like co-op.... Now, I want to join a group of people that are fun to work with, I want to do a creative thing, a unique PC exclusive and bring back gaming.

I don't want to be a lider, dont think about that, I want to work together as a team to create a innovative thing.

For example, What do I like in games :

-Freedom of choice
-Decisions
-Different Endings based on those decisions
-A place where I can explore
-Easter Eggs
-Co-op
-Different aproches to the same story (if anyone has played or see the review of RE6, something like that)
-A good gameplay with great mechanics
-A great story with an awesome voice acting
-I'm an Art guy so, graphics, unique, artist and "realistic in its own way"
-Competitive Multiplayer
- And for last, in single player games, Affection for the characters... the thing that I like the most in Metal Gear Solid.

Now, I now it's a difficult process and it takes time and dedication into it, and believe me, I'm the lazy type x) but, you guys must know "Kickstarter" right?

For those who don't know, it's a website that enables people to fund your projects if they like them, It has kind of a "reward" system that people use (ex: if you give more than 100$/90€ you recieve a limited edition or something)

So I was thinking of using it, it has some disadvantages cause you have to show your project, show something at least.

Just for finish I want to tell you guys about myself...
-Im a portuguese guy, I have 19y, I can say that because It's almost my bday, I'm a comic book artist, I work digital and traditional, try to keep myself doing the two of them, I work 3D, 2D, everything really... I don't have any dreams really, but if I would choose something it would be to work as a Concept Artist.
As for my Comic Book I'll show here on the forum some concepts so you can see some of my works (;

So, whoever is up to this or just want to give me and the future dev's some tips just say something and I'll try to keep in touch. smile.png

Thanks in Advance.
Advertisement
Er, hey. I'm an artist, too, so my design knowledge is limited. However...

Are you aware of the amount of manpower and money each of those "repetitive" games you cited take? Hint: More than a couple of people off a forum and a few thousand dollars.
The AAA games you cited are so repetitive because they found a formula and are now sticking to it to the point it's getting stale. It might piss us off, but it does indeed sell, which seems pretty much a top priority when it comes to publishers. It doesn't help that big companies don't really like the risk involved with creating new IPs with new and aspiring teams (because that can go down the drain fast and badly).

You'll also need a bit more of an idea of what you're doing than a list of features you find fun to get people interested and wanting to join your project. At least a genre and innovative mechanics or... anything. "A creative thing" isn't really much of a selling point, here.

"A PC exclusive" that "brings back gaming" will probably not happen, especially not as your first project. That said, maybe I'm just being negative. I do know a few people personally who have formed small teams and been relatively successful... But really, I would say find yourself a designer (or get further into it yourself) and start smaller.

Now, I want to join a group of people that are fun to work with, I want to do a creative thing, a unique PC exclusive and bring back gaming.

Take a look at the classified section.

Er, hey. I'm an artist, too, so my design knowledge is limited. However...

Are you aware of the amount of manpower and money each of those "repetitive" games you cited take? Hint: More than a couple of people off a forum and a few thousand dollars.
The AAA games you cited are so repetitive because they found a formula and are now sticking to it to the point it's getting stale. It might piss us off, but it does indeed sell, which seems pretty much a top priority when it comes to publishers. It doesn't help that big companies don't really like the risk involved with creating new IPs with new and aspiring teams (because that can go down the drain fast and badly).

You'll also need a bit more of an idea of what you're doing than a list of features you find fun to get people interested and wanting to join your project. At least a genre and innovative mechanics or... anything. "A creative thing" isn't really much of a selling point, here.

"A PC exclusive" that "brings back gaming" will probably not happen, especially not as your first project. That said, maybe I'm just being negative. I do know a few people personally who have formed small teams and been relatively successful... But really, I would say find yourself a designer (or get further into it yourself) and start smaller.

I know that, thats why I stated the Kickstarter website.... Look, My comic book would be in the works but someone gave us a lot of money and that gave me hope of starting a Game project? Why not? I will do a concept and put online so everyone can see. I know it messes with a lot of money but its possible.

[quote name='Gle4se' timestamp='1349163432' post='4985982']
Now, I want to join a group of people that are fun to work with, I want to do a creative thing, a unique PC exclusive and bring back gaming.

Take a look at the classified section.
[/quote]

Thanks x)

but its possible.

Yes it is, the good about kickstart is, if the crowd is convinced that you are able to pull the project off, then they will support you. You just need to convince them,easy, isn't it smile.png

-Competitive Multiplayer
- And for last, in single player games, Affection for the characters... the thing that I like the most in Metal Gear Solid.

Your idea to make a great game is "to make a great game"...You haven't even brought any ideas to the table yourself yet. Do you really think that all game designers and developers try to make another CoD? Have you seen any of the amazing, unique indie games already out there?

What I'm trying to say, is "making a great game to bring back PC gaming" isn't a crazy new idea you just had, it has been the main goal of 99% of developers since gaming started.

Offer something specific, or this thread has absolutely no point at all.

Now, I now it's a difficult process and it takes time and dedication into it, and believe me, I'm the lazy type x) but, you guys must know "Kickstarter" right?

PSvils sort of touched on that point before, it needs more than "only" dedication. There are many game projects that failed, even though the whole team was very dedicated.

Especially the point "-A good gameplay with great mechanics" is completely undefined. What is good gameplay?
Also mechanics and balancing are maybe harder in a FPS than in any other game type. There is the example of the Halo Sniper rifle reload time. There is a vast difference between 0.5 and 0.7 seconds reload time per shot.
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

There are many game projects that failed, even though the whole team was very dedicated.

Like - Starcraft : Ghost... I was really looking forward to that game (back in the day)

-Shadow

[quote name='Gle4se' timestamp='1349163432' post='4985982']
-Competitive Multiplayer

Your idea to make a great game is "to make a great game"...You haven't even brought any ideas to the table yourself yet. Do you really think that all game designers and developers try to make another CoD? Have you seen any of the amazing, unique indie games already out there?

What I'm trying to say, is "making a great game to bring back PC gaming" isn't a crazy new idea you just had, it has been the main goal of 99% of developers since gaming started.

Offer something specific, or this thread has absolutely no point at all.
[/quote]

That's why I said I could post Concept pics, But I prefer to have someone to work with so that we're doing a general Idea of us all. I have ideas, but I don't want to be like, I have this idea, now work! xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement