So, i know nothin but want to make games in the future

Started by
22 comments, last by VladTC 11 years, 6 months ago
Learn java or c (almost any sort) as first languages, then maybe dive into something else later on like lua. But at first java and c are best, and u can use c with unity too, If you have other members in a team.
Advertisement
Yes there is a performance gap, but as a beginner, you will not reach a point where the performance is too bad. it also depends on the api.
As you see on your graph, SharpDX isn´t far behind.
Yup, that's why i'm thinking on starting with C# and moving on to C++ Later on when needed :3

Though now as i read about SharpDX, it has no documentation and.. i guess it would be hard to understand and use ? Maybe i'd start with SlimDX first, i dunno.
SharpDX should be no problem, you got enough Demos and you can easily adapt C++ tutorials.
Its not that hard as you might think if you understand C# well.
XNA is a viable alternative to SharpDX for you, as it has a wealth of supported documentation. Sooker does has some valid reasons for preferring SharpDX, though. There are some questions about XNA's future, but I personally wouldn't bet on it dying out completely. Even in a worst case scenario, it'll be quite a long time before it's inadequate or unusable and the open source Mono may keep the fires burning longer.

You don't have to go with either, but feel free to look at both and see which you take to. The framework that you find easier to learn from probably benefits you the most.
SharpDX wil provide a high level api soon. It´s under heavy development as you can read on the SharpDX site. it should be released this year.
SHarpDX also features Win8 Metro and DX11. This are my reasons for choosing SharpDX.
what are low level and high level API's, by the way ? amd i don't really care about Win8, not planning on giving that any attention whatsoever ^^
Low-level programming language

High-level programming language

Try these Wiki articles to give you with the general concept, although these refer mainly to the difference in languages.
Low level API examples are OpenGL, Java, and DirectX (Direct3D). High level ones like Java 3D, Ogre, Irrlicht Engine, Axiom 3D Render Engine, Blender, and jMonkey Engine. It is possible to use both low level and high level API in developing a game.

Most games made by intermediate game developers will have the programming matter more than the language used. The C++ AAA games are created by a team, typically, which can utilize the full features of that language. It often takes years to make an AAA game, let alone learn the language added to that.

Most games don't even need the extra features of C++ advanced programming in the bigger picture of things. Most of the games no matter what language if programmed well will not come close to the performance limit of the hardware and should not in any case.

If you really want to learn C++, then do it, but we let you know what you are facing. smile.png

As for the link to the benchmark of C++ and C#, many things are not mentioned here, such as optimizations, NGen beyond that example, compressions, filters, buffers, wrappers, frameworks, and
just pure need: (Edit: Fixed!)
http://code4k.blogspot.de/2011/03/benchmarking-cnet-direct3d-11-apis-vs.html#!/2011/03/benchmarking-cnet-direct3d-11-apis-vs.html
It does not include the human factor. wink.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Ah i see, thanks for the answers ^^ And i just checked through the classfields on the website and everyone that's looking for a programmer is always demanding knowledge of C++..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement