• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Clipping a plane to the view frustum

This topic is 1931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,

I am currently trying to accomplish what the title states: Take a plane, represented as a 4D vector, and clip it to the view frustum so that it forms a bounding area. Here is what I am thinking, I just want to make sure this make sense:

1. Transform the view frustum's 6 planes by the camera's view matrix.
2. for each frustum plane, find the intersection point between the current frustum plane, an adjacent frustum plane, and the plane I am looking to clip. Assuming that they meet at only one point, I would recored this point and move on.
3. Wind the points found to form a bounding area.

This seems like it's a bit overcomplicated and contains a lot of math (such as transforming each view frustum plane). Does this make sense? Is there any easier way to do this?

Thanks.

Advertisement
I think it will be easier to take all edges (i.e. line segments) of frustum, find the intersection points of these and your plane (you have 0 or 1 intersection point for each segment) and then wind those points.

[quote name='Lauris Kaplinski' timestamp='1349357539' post='4986758']
I think it will be easier to take all edges (i.e. line segments) of frustum, find the intersection points of these and your plane (you have 0 or 1 intersection point for each segment) and then wind those points.
[/quote]

This is a helpful improvement, thank you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement