newbie needs git "workflow" or something

Started by
1 comment, last by Weapon S 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi y'all,

the past weeks I have acquainted myself with git. I know most of the basics (apparently not all of the basics :-X). My question is: what is the best way for me to work with git now? I work alone, but have multiple repositories for the same code. (One reason is back-up, the other is practicing with git.) I currently mainly work with "master". Non-bare repositories don't work well that way... (i.e. pushing doesn't update the working directory.)
	   Net
	  (bare)
	/	|   \
   /	 |	\
PC1	 |	PC2
   \	 |	/
	USB/other PC's

[What is up with GD's pre and code tags?!]
I guess this mostly resembles a "fully distributed" setup. So should I make a branch for each non-bare repo? Should I setup remote tracking properly? At what commands should I be looking? What is a good resource to read about this sort of thing? (There is A LOT of info on git on-line.)
Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
The easiest way to work with the same repo on multiple machines is just to make sure you push your changes to some sort of central repo that all others can pull from once you are done for the day. You basically treat it as if it's not distributed and is more like SVN. There is no reason to deal with merge conflicts if you're the only developer!
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't considered that... :-X That makes the most sense. I wanted to avoid the internet, to save the kittens who live in the rainforest ;) But I can see how going centralized is the easiest. I guess I could make the USB bare too, and make a copy when I need it.
There is no reason to deal with merge conflicts if you're the only developer![/quote]
There's one good one: practice. I can hardly really screw up, and it gives me all the problems you have in a real distributed workflow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement