• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Altourus

General android publishing and development questions

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys, been a while since I've posted on these forums.

I wanted to get an understanding of Android development and the process of publishing apps. To that end I made a simple live wallpaper
[url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.altourus.splitterlivewallpaper"]Splitter Live Wallpaper[/url]

I had a few questions popup during this process.

How do I do Eclipse debugging on a service? With an Activity it would run the activity by default and let me use break points. When coding a service do I just need to first develop it using an Activity to allow debugging?

I've been using the developer option "Show CPU usage" to profile my program and see what I could do to improve the wallpaper's efficiency, are there more detailed profiling tools available / what ones do you recommend?

I was looking into recording a Video for my app. The only methods I've seen would require I root my phone (I'm a little hesitant to do this since I just got the phone 2 days ago) Is there any other way to do this? Mostly I'm concerned that Google will brick my phone, like apple does with Jailbreaked phones, or is this something I don't need to worry about? Or should I just record the screen with another video recorder, like my tablet?

What is the best way to advertise a free app? It appears that having a new app and being a new developer on the App store, there are no way for the user to discover my app short of them searching for it by name.

I noticed that having scope variables (variables defined inside function calls) was causing a lot of processing power to be used, I assume because of the gabage collection. Currently I've defined those scope variables outside the function as private members of the class, what are the best practices to improve this?

Android is not IOS, you don't need to worry about anyone bricking your phone (though depending on your manufacturer/carrier, rooting can be extremely easy or harder to do).

Advertising an app is the same as any other software; either pay for ads (though I wouldn't recommend it), or find places where people announce/use your kind of apps and do the same (following the rules of the place), and get listed as many places as possible. Discoverability is a problem for all starting app developers.

[quote]I was looking into recording a Video for my app. The only methods I've seen would require I root my phone (I'm a little hesitant to do this since I just got the phone 2 days ago) Is there any other way to do this?[/quote]

If you have a powerful enough computer, grab the x86 emulator (and enable OpenGLES2.0 emulation if you can), and try recording it with a desktop recorder (Fraps?). Emulators are still pretty clunky, so one thing you can do is to slow down your app by 5-10x when recording and then increase the playback rate by the same factor in a video editor. Helps workaround slow FPS problems.

[quote name='Altourus' timestamp='1349367363' post='4986801']
How do I do Eclipse debugging on a service? With an Activity it would run the activity by default and let me use break points. When coding a service do I just need to first develop it using an Activity to allow debugging?
[/quote]

Yes, start the service with your debug activity and put break points in the service code.

What is the best way to advertise a free app? It appears that having a new app and being a new developer on the App store, there are no way for the user to discover my
app short of them searching for it by name.
[/quote]

I think you should definitely reach out to the android blogs and try to get them to review your wallpaper. Also, you can buy mobile ad space from Google and people using other apps can see an ad for your wallpaper.

I noticed that having scope variables (variables defined inside function calls) was causing a lot of processing power to be used, I assume because of the gabage collection. Currently I've defined those scope variables outside the function as private members of the class, what are the best practices to improve this?
[/quote]

This is interesting, depends on how you're using them I would think but this really shouldn't be a concern. It's possible you're triggering the GC too frequently and my advice would be to avoid creating unnecessary object, i.e. calling new Blah() inside of a for loop if you can re-use one.

Good luck!