General android publishing and development questions

Started by
3 comments, last by stan.idesis 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys, been a while since I've posted on these forums.

I wanted to get an understanding of Android development and the process of publishing apps. To that end I made a simple live wallpaper
Splitter Live Wallpaper

I had a few questions popup during this process.

How do I do Eclipse debugging on a service? With an Activity it would run the activity by default and let me use break points. When coding a service do I just need to first develop it using an Activity to allow debugging?

I've been using the developer option "Show CPU usage" to profile my program and see what I could do to improve the wallpaper's efficiency, are there more detailed profiling tools available / what ones do you recommend?

I was looking into recording a Video for my app. The only methods I've seen would require I root my phone (I'm a little hesitant to do this since I just got the phone 2 days ago) Is there any other way to do this? Mostly I'm concerned that Google will brick my phone, like apple does with Jailbreaked phones, or is this something I don't need to worry about? Or should I just record the screen with another video recorder, like my tablet?

What is the best way to advertise a free app? It appears that having a new app and being a new developer on the App store, there are no way for the user to discover my app short of them searching for it by name.

I noticed that having scope variables (variables defined inside function calls) was causing a lot of processing power to be used, I assume because of the gabage collection. Currently I've defined those scope variables outside the function as private members of the class, what are the best practices to improve this?
Advertisement
Android is not IOS, you don't need to worry about anyone bricking your phone (though depending on your manufacturer/carrier, rooting can be extremely easy or harder to do).

Advertising an app is the same as any other software; either pay for ads (though I wouldn't recommend it), or find places where people announce/use your kind of apps and do the same (following the rules of the place), and get listed as many places as possible. Discoverability is a problem for all starting app developers.

Michael A. - Software Engineer, moonlighting as a game developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

K thanks for the Ideas, I'll try and track down some android live wallpaper pages.
I was looking into recording a Video for my app. The only methods I've seen would require I root my phone (I'm a little hesitant to do this since I just got the phone 2 days ago) Is there any other way to do this?[/quote]

If you have a powerful enough computer, grab the x86 emulator (and enable OpenGLES2.0 emulation if you can), and try recording it with a desktop recorder (Fraps?). Emulators are still pretty clunky, so one thing you can do is to slow down your app by 5-10x when recording and then increase the playback rate by the same factor in a video editor. Helps workaround slow FPS problems.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

How do I do Eclipse debugging on a service? With an Activity it would run the activity by default and let me use break points. When coding a service do I just need to first develop it using an Activity to allow debugging?

Yes, start the service with your debug activity and put break points in the service code.

What is the best way to advertise a free app? It appears that having a new app and being a new developer on the App store, there are no way for the user to discover my
app short of them searching for it by name.

I think you should definitely reach out to the android blogs and try to get them to review your wallpaper. Also, you can buy mobile ad space from Google and people using other apps can see an ad for your wallpaper.

I noticed that having scope variables (variables defined inside function calls) was causing a lot of processing power to be used, I assume because of the gabage collection. Currently I've defined those scope variables outside the function as private members of the class, what are the best practices to improve this?

This is interesting, depends on how you're using them I would think but this really shouldn't be a concern. It's possible you're triggering the GC too frequently and my advice would be to avoid creating unnecessary object, i.e. calling new Blah() inside of a for loop if you can re-use one.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement