Rebooting my article series on Video Game Music

Started by
5 comments, last by Bakuda 11 years, 6 months ago
Hey people,

One of my first posts here on Gamedev.net was a link to an article series on game music that I started on my website.
The thread already seems to be gone and that's some solid proof that it's been too long since my last update.

That's why I've decided to give the series a general overhaul.

And here's where I need your help - I want the articles to be interesting for both composers who'd like to improve their craft as well as for game devs who'd like to get some insight on how we actually work.

Some topics I'd like to cover are:

• Acquiring freelance jobs/ Promoting yourself / Proper communication / Writing contracts
  • Equipment and Software choices
  • Mixing and Mastering tips (e.g. mastering for mobile devices)
  • How to analyze and tackle different musical styles, with examples
  • Applicable music theory

I'd like these articles to be open for ideas, opinions and experiences.
So what would you like to read about? Or maybe you have an interesting story to share?

I'd love to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Advertisement

Some topics I'd like to cover are:
Acquiring freelance jobs/ Promoting yourself / Proper communication / Writing contracts
Equipment and Software choices
Mixing and Mastering tips (e.g. mastering for mobile devices)
How to analyze and tackle different musical styles, with examples
Applicable music theory

I for one would be very interested in this :)
You could also perhaps do a breakdown on how you created one of your pieces? Just an idea

Caleb Faith
Hey Caleb,

Thanks, that's motivating!

You could also perhaps do a breakdown on how you created one of your pieces?

I wouldn't do that of my own accord as this might seem like I'm just trying to promote my own work.
But if people agree that this could be fun and interesting, I'll give it a shot. smile.png

Cheers,
Moritz

Consider me interested as well -- I'm sure a lot of people would love to read a breakdown of how you approached a particular piece -- and overcame any difficulties along the way -- if you're willing and able. Everyone has such different processes, and I think there can be some real value in a detailed look at how other composers approach things.

I see a lot of questions and confusion about getting established and how to go about the business side of things -- finding clients, appropriate promotion, setting reasonable rates, writing contracts, etc. -- so I think that would also be a valuable area to focus on.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm another one that's interested :D It's always nice to see how others tackle their musical compositions. I'm interested in all the topics that you would like to cover.
Awesome! Thanks, guys!

This sounds like a great idea. I gain alot from hearing about how other composers approach their works. This would be very interesting.

Bryan Davis - Composer

Website • Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement