Any problems using GLEW/GLFW for game/engine project?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kaptein 11 years, 6 months ago
This might be a ridiculous question to ask, but is it discouraged or problematic to use either of those libraries for a game that would be (potentially) be published? Not having to deal with the Windows API for my rendering context would be convenient, plus there's the added bonus of portable code. Is this something many people are already doing with their games? Based on your experience, would there be any specific limitations that may be problematic later on when using these libraries?
Advertisement
no, i should think that is the perfect combination if you are willing and able to do all the hard work that comes with it :)
i'm personally very happy with using only glfw, but on the "i wish i knew this earlier"-side of things, USE glew also!

btw. a tip for chatbox: when you open a chatbox with glfw, enable repeating keys, and when you close it, disable it
that way you can get ggggggggggggggggggggg-like (holding down keys) effect, like in a real textbox :)

also, if you plant a GLFW_ICON resource name, you can specify your icon for the glfw-window without any hassle
here is the entire contents of an example .rc file (which btw is in text-format):
GLFW_ICON ICON "myprogram.ico"

good luck!

no, i should think that is the perfect combination if you are willing and able to do all the hard work that comes with it
i'm personally very happy with using only glfw, but on the "i wish i knew this earlier"-side of things, USE glew also!
btw. a tip for chatbox: when you open a chatbox with glfw, enable repeating keys, and when you close it, disable it
that way you can get ggggggggggggggggggggg-like (holding down keys) effect, like in a real textbox
also, if you plant a GLFW_ICON resource name, you can specify your icon for the glfw-window without any hassle
here is the entire contents of an example .rc file (which btw is in text-format):
good luck!

Thanks for the tips! happy.png *EDIT* What parts did you utilize from GLFW vs GLEW?

Also I just recently discovered Allegro and SFML game frameworks. Any thoughts on using either of those for a game/game engine? Even though I believe that learning to do the low-level programming is important, the built in audio systems from those frameworks are sort of appealing, since I'm much more interested in the graphics portion of development than anything else. I've heard a lot of good things about SFML, but I have also heard that it can be "too easy" (more high-level, less control).
GLFW and GLEW really are a great combination. I have used them for all sorts of projects, small and big. So I can definitely recommend them.

[quote name='Kaptein' timestamp='1349410659' post='4987004']
no, i should think that is the perfect combination if you are willing and able to do all the hard work that comes with it
that way you can get ggggggggggggggggggggg-like (holding down keys) effect, like in a real textbox
good luck!

Thanks for the tips! happy.png *EDIT* What parts did you utilize from GLFW vs GLEW?

Also I just recently discovered Allegro and SFML game frameworks. Any thoughts on using either of those for a game/game engine? Even though I believe that learning to do the low-level programming is important, the built in audio systems from those frameworks are sort of appealing, since I'm much more interested in the graphics portion of development than anything else. I've heard a lot of good things about SFML, but I have also heard that it can be "too easy" (more high-level, less control).
[/quote]

easy is good, or even great, so don't be too hasty in running after the lowest level libraries..
i used glfw because it means i can compile for windows, linux and mac os using it
that doesn't mean all my libraries are mac os compliant, but i wouldn't replace glfw with anything.. it's just all there (graphically speaking)
it even supports xbox controllers smile.png (USB version that you can plug into any computer)

about SFML and SDL:
someone else should probably speak up, or you could simply look for a description of pros and cons for the common all-in-one libraries

if you have some experience programming beforehand, maybe the best alternative is to simply pick and choose libraries based on your needs
that's what i did :)

GLFW and GLEW really are a great combination. I have used them for all sorts of projects, small and big. So I can definitely recommend them.

easy is good, or even great, so don't be too hasty in running after the lowest level libraries..
i used glfw because it means i can compile for windows, linux and mac os using it
that doesn't mean all my libraries are mac os compliant, but i wouldn't replace glfw with anything.. it's just all there (graphically speaking)
it even supports xbox controllers (USB version that you can plug into any computer)

about SFML and SDL:
someone else should probably speak up, or you could simply look for a description of pros and cons for the common all-in-one libraries

if you have some experience programming beforehand, maybe the best alternative is to simply pick and choose libraries based on your needs
that's what i did

It seems like GLFW and GLEW are most of what I need. I'm assuming you needed extra things like audio output for your project. How did you deal with that? SDL, or another 3rd party library? Implemented it yourself?
i used another library for audio, specifically one that worked right out of the box on linux and windows
harder to find one that also works with mac as well, i guess
if you set things up well, changing libraries (just in case your needs change) won't be too much of a hassle
most libraries do the same things, especially when it comes down to audio, as long as you make sure its a threaded library
basically, playing a sound shouldn't consume any time and be 100% thread-safe

i did the same with networking.. so just take a look around and see what you find

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement