Creating a Lua RPG rough timing?

Started by
10 comments, last by shadowomf 11 years, 6 months ago
Make it text/icon based, you can work on one of these until you are blue in the face. There is no point on competing on graphics since AAA games blow you away, so try to make it unique via the story, game mechanics, and characters. You can do all of this in a text/icon based game. If you find you are blowing through the game fast, then you can always add a beautiful graphical layer on top of the game engine, or better yet hire artists to do a professional job on it. It is also MUCH easier and faster to create assets for a completely specd out game than one in development.
Advertisement
Hello,

you could take a look at LÖVE https://love2d.org/ I think it might be helpful.

Even for a text adventure or rpg I would recommend to use something graphically. You can do much more typography wise, than with console output.
For example different font colors, one for each character or category. Different fonts for battle stats and dialog.
And many more, just don't overdo it. Sometimes less is more and I think this is especially important when talking about typography.
It does also enable you to add a nice GUI and menu.

I think you should try to make a list of the graphics you would require to make a 2d game. Then you take a look at this list and estimate if you can create each item on the list.
Try to be as exact as possible, so you can really estimate the work load. E.g. no bullet point "jungle tileset", better list each tile you will require for the tileset.

In any case, 2d/text you should plan ahead. For example you could use a project management software (or just a calender) and create your own milestones.
Then make sure you aren't slipping your schedule. If you do, take a look at what has caused it and how to prevent it in the future.
Make sure you have a few weeks left after the last milestone, in case you miscalculated and for general polishing.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement