trying to figure out what to do

Started by
14 comments, last by timothyjlaird 11 years, 6 months ago
well thank you very much guys!

This really helps to figure out where to start, very much appreciated!
Advertisement
Have you taken Computer Science?(if your high school offers)
If you have, you should be fine in any languages
Even if you haven't, you should still be fine.

I really recommend getting a book rather than looking at some internet tutorials.
A book explains stuff in detail and usually offers good programming exercises so you can use what you learned in making your programs.
An invisible text.
Sorry to reply here , but my concern is to start my own thread in the forum and i dint find any link in the forum to write a new fresh thread so i am asking here , i am completely new to the website and just registered with facebook account. Please help !!

I am posting here because i would like to know the best route to go in order to achieve this, essentially what i should learn.

Hi,

Only you may determine which is the best route to go for you. There are many ways to climb a mountain, paint on canvas, and make games.

That being said, take a few days of reading around this forum, website, and others. Get a feeling of what general type of game you want to make long term. Choose a system - there are many - which is friendly to beginners for you to start. It should have a very active supportive community.

Pick only a language which is more friendly than C++ for a beginner, such as C#, Python, C, Java, or other good one for newbies, though these are all used by advanced programmers, too. One good strategy for choosing a language is to select the system first and use the language which that community uses with the system, such as a game engine for computer games or a Software Development Kit (SDK) for browser games, just as examples. Start learning your language very soon!

Now, this website has much information for new people, especially in this forum, so read many of the threads in recent weeks on these pages. I say this because your questions are posted by new people almost every day here and got many helpful answers in each of those threads. In the last week, there have been fantastic ones!

Stay with it, learn a lot, work hard, and have fun!smile.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Sorry to reply here , but my concern is to start my own thread in the forum and i dint find any link in the forum to write a new fresh thread so i am asking here , i am completely new to the website and just registered with facebook account. Please help !!

Click here to start a new thread - In your new thread, you should be specific in what you are asking help for, to receive the best results. "Please help" doesn't let anyone know what you are wanting help with.

This all helped a great deal, i believe i will start learning c# and python

thank you guys for the help smile.png

on the languages note, are there any recommended books to pick up for c#/python?

For a grounding in C# the Deitel series is not bad. Although it may be like drinking water out of fire hose for a beginner. I would look at some online tutorials first. Once you know what you are looking for then maybe spend $50 on a book.

If you do choose c# as a first language and master some of the basics (and still want to pursue gamedev) I would recommend Learning XNA 4.0 by Aaron Reed (O'Rielly Series). Once you get further into the book it slowly introduces some basic concepts of object oriented programming and gives you practical reasons to use them with XNA...as opposed to just handing you raw theory. That said...the book's coverage of HLSL (and 3d as it applies to XNA) is a bit shallow, so you should not expect to be an expert on XNA or anything, but it will give a starting point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement