winapi and directx

Started by
4 comments, last by markrodgers11 11 years, 6 months ago
I'm currently learning C++ and am planning to move on to WINAPI and DirectX10 next but I'm wondering how much C++ I need to know before moving on to WINAPI and how much WINAPI I should know before moving on to DirectX10?

Any answers are appreciated.
Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I'm not here and this is my first post :P
Advertisement
Beginnner-Intermediate C++ level to move on to directx.
You should know and be familiar with the language syntax. And you should know about the basic OOP (Object Oriented Programming) and some knowledge of objects created dynamiclly, so you should know about pointers too. But if you want you can just omit the pointers.

Then you learn the winapi very basics, to create a simple window and no more. You don't need to learn stuff like menus, bottons, etc. Just the window part.
When you know the basics about winapi go to directx. I prefer directx 11, but is your decision.

This is my opinion, and probably not the best way to begin (?)
I recommend taking a goal-based approach. In my development career, I've never taken the approach "now I'm going to learn WINAPI/API x". Instead, I've just decided I want to do X, and then figured out what is required to achieve that. There is no need to lean APIs by heart, instead learning "if I want to do X, I must utilize Y" is a better route.
both really useful replies! thanks :)
@riverreal thanks, i thought id need to know like all of winapi to go on to directx :P okay so ill go with directx11 cause its more up to date and stuff, although wont i need to check to make sure my card is compatible with directx11?
@clb yeah, tbh, thats how I've done alot of my previous programming ;p

okay so ill go with directx11 cause its more up to date and stuff, although wont i need to check to make sure my card is compatible with directx11?

DX11 can be used with DX10-level video cards using feature levels. A DX10 video card will support FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0 as its highest feature level, which basically gives you the same functionality available in DX10.

[quote name='markrodgers11' timestamp='1349490014' post='4987314']
okay so ill go with directx11 cause its more up to date and stuff, although wont i need to check to make sure my card is compatible with directx11?

DX11 can be used with DX10-level video cards using feature levels. A DX10 video card will support FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0 as its highest feature level, which basically gives you the same functionality available in DX10.
[/quote]

oh okay awesome, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement