Freeglut won't install on VC 2010 win 7 64bit

Started by
2 comments, last by D.V.D 11 years, 6 months ago
I found this link for installing freeglut already compiled on windows 7 64 bit but when I run through the installation I get a whole bunch of link errors for every glut/gl function called. The error is Link2019: unresolved external symbol (function name...etc). I tried looking everywhere throughout the internet and I just can't find a answer to this problem. I downloaded the first link MSVC freeglut, I created a folder in Common Files called MSVC and put the libs and includes in that folder. I linked them like said in the readme for the downloaded freeglut to the project and VC recognizes the header but none of the functions that come with freeglut work at all. They all give the link error posted above. The reason Im using freeglut and not glut is because im following a tutorial online and they happen to use functions from freeglut that don't seem to be in glut.h. Can anyone help me? I also added a bin folder with the DLL in the common files/MSVC/freeglut folder I created and added that path to the enviornment path. I still get the same errors though. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I ran normal Glut with no problem but it seems that Im having trouble running GLEW as well. I put all the files into their locations with the same Link error displayed for glew too.
Advertisement
Can you provide a tiny sample (e.g. with only a call to glutInit) and show us the command line(s) being used to compile and link?
I used this code to create a blank window and I compiled under VC2010 so I just built my project. Not sure about any command lines being used just the default build and run on VC2010.

#include <GL/freeglut.h>

static void RenderSceneCB()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
glutSwapBuffers();
}

static void InitializeGlutCallbacks()
{
glutDisplayFunc(RenderSceneCB);
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{