Are we allowed to make new terms if the English language does not have such terms?

Started by
14 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 6 months ago
For example, I have come across a pretty common (or mediocre) usage of vectors in math. Now, in English, [color=#000080]cross product is known as the determinant of square matrices, which isn't used to describe similar a similar value for vectors in a 2D environment. Sometimes, when we want to compare two different frames of reference, and we wanted to know if an object is moving either clockwise, or counter-clockwise, we would have to use the cross product and compare it with something for the result. That "something" is a replacement word for "a vector rotation with a specific direction." We have that word, and hopefully you may know some of those words. (Not intented...)

In Danish, the term [color=#800080]tværvector is used as follows:

A tværvector is the rotation of a 2D vector 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
[/quote]

Ok, maybe we do have a terminology for that, but in a general form (Source, I believed): [color=#008000]The direction of a 90-degrees counterclockwise vector rotation.

Now, expanding outwards away from mathematical terms/linguistics, there are plenty of terms that shortens some English words. I wondered if we are allowed to "invent" new terms, or "borrow" terms from other languages and incorporated them into daily usage? Or maybe even claim a "borrowed" word as our own...

And probably learn something new in this thread. biggrin.png
Advertisement
Allowed by who?
New words are invented all the time, anyone can invent new words, if the new word becomes commonly used it might become an official part of the language. (Allthough not all languages have an official definition as such)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Specific for English, check ou the Merriam Webster Dictionary website.
They specify for each word its popularity and when it was first used.

There are many words (many announced on the homepage) that are invented by celebrities or important figures that are added to the dictionary because a majority of people begins to use it afterwards.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
Anytime you need to make a new word, simply define it for your listeners/readers.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Specific for English, check ou the Merriam Webster Dictionary website.

*opens website*
*searches for 'colour'*
*gets told is it is the British version of 'color'*

So... you mean American English then ;)
Before I turned to programming, I was an (American) English teacher, with a corresponding degree in English. I believe this pretty piece of paper means I'm allowed to decide what is a word and what isn't (it's somewhere in the fine print). Therefore, I am making myself available for evaluation of any words you come up with, pro bono of course. ;)

Allowed by who?
Grammar nazis, one of which I am not.

[size=1]It's "whom".

It's "whom".

[source lang="cpp"]#define who whom[/source]
hah!

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

The best and worst thing about English is that we just steal everyone else's words whenever we need to.

Great for expressiveness, but bad for spelling rules, where you're not sure if the etymology of a particular word is gaelic or latin or dutch, etc, so you don't know what kind of pronunciation rules to apply to the letters...

If you start using words like Tværvektoren in articles, and it catches on (so other people also start using the word), then eventually dictionary authors will recognise that the word is now in common usage and they'll add it to their dictionaries. At this point, it's pretty much officially an English word.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement