Python Editor

Started by
18 comments, last by NightCreature83 11 years, 6 months ago
So to everyone that helped me decided on python to learn programing thanks. Now I need a bit more help.
I went to http://wiki.python.o...n/PythonEditors, to find an editor and the list was enormous..........

1. How do you chose?
2. Reccomendations?

PS- Im using windows 7.
Advertisement
Notepad++ is good for free.
You can't go wrong with Notepad++ as frob mentioned.

There is also the IDLE IDE for Python. It is free and lots of people like to use it.
And I think it comes bundled with the python installer. Though the Mac version I tried crashed a lot :(
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
I just use any old text editor for Python, although preferably one with syntax highlighting, of course. In the past, I tried PyDev on Eclipse, but that bothered me, because I don't like seeing stupid squiggly lines in my code to mean that Eclipse doesn't know where this symbol name came from, and I don't like loading such a large program if all I want to do is code in Python.
I've been a big fan of Komodo, which might be worth looking at once you've spent some time getting your feet wet with the language if you're willing to spend some money. They do also have a simpler editor-only (i.e. doesn't include the extra tools the full IDE provides) version called Komodo Edit which is available for free.

However, I recently became aware of WebStorm for some JavaScript work I've been doing and loved it so much that I'll definitely be investigating that company's Python editor as well -- PyCharm. Again, this is a commercial editor, but the licencing is cheaper than Komodo, and if it's on par with the JavaScript version it'll be a great package. There's a free trial available.

Note that as a beginner it might be quite some time before you're able to or interested in using the additional features these editors offer.

Otherwise if you're after something free I'd second (third?) the recommendation of Notepad++, which doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles of the above mentioned editors but is a great syntax highlighting editor, and as a beginner is certainly more than capable enough when you're getting started.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I use either IDLE, GEdit (now has mac and windows versions, not GNOME exclusive anymore, hell I think theres a KDE version too now) or SharpDevelop. SharpDevelop is intended for use with ironPython but for all intents and purposes it works nicely as a visual studio style IDE with intellisense like features. SharpDevelop is my favourite although just using IDLE or GEdit is quicker on smaller scripts.
There's also Programmer's Notepad.
The IDLE that comes with Python is great to work with. It indents automatically for statements and functions, which may save you a few seconds of time.

I couldn't seem to get Notepad++ to auto-indent, but eh maybe you're not lazy like me.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

After downloading five editor’s and being a bit confused on what I was looking at I started creating the only program I have learned to create. “Hello World” notepad++, komodo edit, IDLE (the free one with python), and pycharm. Being that I can navigate Google fairly well I figured it out on all three. I did not realize that I had criteria. 1. Simple to use, 2. Relatively cheap, 3. Make it user friendly, (easy to learn the program). As sad as this sounds with notepad++ I had a difficult time getting the program to run. (Which I later found out that meant debug mode is what I was looking for) I eventually did through YouTube and learning even more command prompt commands. I started komodo edit and this daunting $300 upgrade ad was staring at me. As silly as this sounds, as a college student there is no way I’m spending $300 anytime soon. It annoyed me. I finally started pycharm and it was amazing! It was easy to use, modest upgrade price and user friendly! Before you start picking me apart on the “user friendly” For me it’s the difference between Google and yahoo. I don’t like yahoo because it so busy. To the average idiot they wouldn’t know what to click first on yahoo and it would take them three times as long to do anything because they don’t know shit. Even if your experienced programmer and you have to switch editors for some reason, it would be nice to have an easy time learning the new program/editor.

Before you start picking me apart on the “user friendly”

Not at all! User friendliness should always be one of the most important criteria when choosing software -- unless you need some functionality that's only available in a more complex package, or unless your preferred software is in some way defective you should always opt for the software you find most comfortable to work with.

Your approach of trying different editors and choosing the one you were most comfortable with is a great idea, and it's one I wish more people would follow. It's also something you can apply in other areas -- choosing between programming languages, different libraries, etc. It can be good to get advice and find out what the most popular options are, but you should always do the research and make your own decision based upon your own needs.

Don't think that there's any shame in choosing cheaper software either: there's no reason you should spend money if a cheaper or even free package offers the functionality you need, and as a beginner your requirements are still pretty basic. You might want more advanced features in future, but you can always re-evaluate your choices then -- and if PyCharm is your choice there's actually a very good feature set on offer without having to consider other options.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement