• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrJoshL

Random Pain Blues?

17 posts in this topic

This is pretty random, but do any of you guys get what I call the "random pain blues," when you get a random harmless pain somewhere in your body and you immediately panic assuming the worst? (i.e. "Oh no! I have a pain in my liver, I must have toxins pouring into my bloodstream!") They are so annoying, as you end up worrying over nothing.

gd.net doctor here:
Those are classic symptoms of hypochondria. You should probably see a doctor as soon as possible -- if untreated, you might end up contracting a rare and incurable cancer.

[img]http://benryves.com/gd_comic/16-13102004.gif[/img]

I have not seen this comic in so long it almost made me cry. :') But then again, I was really looking for the "I spun AIDS" one... Edited by Heath

[quote name='Heath' timestamp='1349754773' post='4988209']
But then again, I was really looking for the "I spun AIDS" one...
[/quote]
Feast yer eyes!
[img]http://benryves.com/gd_comic/22-16112004.gif[/img]

For future reference, user benryves had the sense to [url="http://benryves.com/gd_comic/"]collect some of these and archive them[/url].

[quote name='MrJoshL' timestamp='1349750216' post='4988195']This is pretty random, but do any of you guys get what I call the "random pain blues," when you get a random harmless pain somewhere in your body and you immediately panic assuming the worst?[/quote]In all seriousness though, I do not know what you mean. My arm really hurt today, but that's because I got bit in the deltoid by Bull Mastiff. Thing had a head like a cement mixer, so that hurt. Point is, pain usually has a reason for it.

Thanks for sharing those comics again -- it's been a long time since I've seen them, great to reminisce.

On a slightly more serious note, was your example of liver pain just a random made-up example, or have you actually had liver pain? Random aches and pains are pretty normal, but I don't think it's normal for a healthy person to experience liver pain -- if that's a specific example of an actual pain it might be worth getting it checked out though. Don't just worry over things though -- if you're concerned get your aches and pains checked out, otherwise just forget about it and move on. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

[quote name='Heath' timestamp='1349838307' post='4988589']
Maybe just lay off certain beverages and drink water?
[/quote]
+1, if not already doing this.

[quote name='Arthur Souza' timestamp='1349839991' post='4988593']
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, holy crap, those comics are awesome!
[/quote]
The archived ones are even better, especially when you were around long ago enough to actually get the context. One of my favorites is about wavinator's wall of texts. Ah, heck, they were all my favorite.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1349840770' post='4988596']
One of my favorites is about wavinator's wall of texts.
[/quote]
I miss his ridiculously lengthy and detailed posts!

lol those comics were great. I am more likely to die from unintended function recursion. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
For all of you who don't care, it was a liver ache, but after drinking lots of water I was all better.

I started getting some weird abdominal pains a couple months ago. Suffered through them for a few days, until my brain finally convinced me I was dying of either a strangulated hernia or testicular cancer and I went to the doctor. He probed me quite thoroughly, including stuffing his finger up in places where I hope to God no man ever stuffs his finger ever again, but couldn't find anything wrong. Blood test showed signs of infection, and pee test showed it was probably a bladder or urinary tract infection. Course of antibiotics cleared up the infection, but I don't think anything can ever clear up the fact that some dude had his gloved finger poking my scrotum up through my guts.

That kind of thing haunts you, man.

@JTippetts: UTI is no joke, but to think, he could've just done a urine test at the start. :P

@Heath: I know, right? Too bad I told him one of my testicles hurt. (It did.) From now on, when the doctor asks me "where does it hurt", I will never answer, "my right nut." Even if my right nut is a blaze of pain.